Miscellaneous Obits, Announcements & News Articles

from the

Amsterdam Evening Recorder

Amsterdam, NY

** Including Persons related to Contributor Nancy Robinson. **

Related family obits from Utica NY newspapers contributed by Nancy Robinson!

The Utica Herald-Dispatch, Saturday Evening, March 9, 1912

McGregor-Rebecca Putnam, wife of the late Alexander McGregor, in her 86th year, in this city, Friday, March S. 1912. Funeral services and interment at Amsterdam.

The Utica Daily Press, Wednesday, September 15, 1937

McGregor Dies, President of Cotton Mills

John A. McGregor, 73, president of the Utica & Mohawk Cotton Mills, Inc., died yesterday morning at his home,

114 Clinton Place. Death came unexpectedly and was the result of pneumonia. As late as Friday, he had been at his office.

The funeral will be held tomorrow at 1:00 pm from the home and from the Baldwin Memorial Chapel of the Second Presbyterian Church of Amsterdam. Burial will be in Green Hill Cemetery.

Pastors to Officiate

Officiating at Utica will be the Rev. Harold B. Walker, minister of First Church and at Amsterdam the Rev. Frank Rhodes. Mr. McGregor, a well-known figure in the cotton textile business, was an ardent business man and a director of several corporations. He was also president of the Willowvale Bleachery Co. He was born in Amsterdam and was educated in public schools and in Amsterdam Academy. For several years he conducted a storage warehouse.

Later, with Charles Austin he engaged in making knitted underwear under the firm name of Austin & McGregor. Then Mr. McGregor went into the business of selling cotton on commission and continued at it until Jan. 1, 1900.

On that date he came to Utica and began six years service as sales manager for the Utica & Mohawk Cotton Mills, Inc. In 1904, he was elected secretary-treasurer of the firm and continued in that capacity for 20 years.

Reaches Presidency

In 1919, he was elected a vice-president and in 1925 on the election of George DeForest as chairman of the Board, Mr. McGregor became president. In 1915, he was made director of the Utica Willowvale Bleachery Co., and in 1927 the president.

He was a member of the Chamber of Commerce and a director of the First Citizens Bank & Trust Company, Utica Gas & Electric Company, Utica Mutual Insurance Company, the National Association of Cotton Manufacturers of Boston and the Cotton Textile Institute, Inc., of New York.

He also was a member of the Merchants Club of New York City and of the Fort Schuyler Club of Utica and at different times a member of other social and business clubs in this city. He attended First Presbyterian Church.

He leaves two sisters, Mrs. Jacob McClumpha, Utica and Mrs. Lewis Casler, Amsterdam.

The Utica Daily Press, Thursday, April 26, 1945

Mrs. McClumpha Dies at 85

Mrs. Margaretta McGregor McClumpha, 85, died Apr. 25. 1945 in the home of her son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Millar, 1403 Genesee, after a brief illness. Born in the Town of Florida, near Amsterdam, May 4, 1859, she was the daughter of Alexander and Rebecca Putnam McGregor.

In 1878 she married Jacob McClumpha, also of Florida, and resided there until his death in 1895. She then came to Utica and made her home with her brother, the late John A. McGregor, at 116 Clinton PL Since his death she had lived with Mr. and Mrs. Millar. She was of the Presbyterian faith.

The funeral will be at 1 p. m. Friday, in the home of her daughter.

Contributor Note: All buried Green Hill Cemetery, Amsterdam

24 May 1886

Business Change

Saturday, the Evening Recorder made brief mention of the fact that John A. MacGregor, recently book-keeper for Morphy Bros., had gone into the knitting business with Charles D. Austin at Rock City. It is an equal partnership, and embraces mill No. 1 and the Maxwell house together with a small parcel of adjacent land. The mill will be known as the Probity mill. Mr. MacGregor is a young man of high character, and in company with a gentleman of the industry, standing and experience of Mr. Austin, is sure to meet with success in his new venture. The mill will be started up in a few days now, some of the machinery tomorrow probably. Charles J. Buchanan begins his duties as book-keeper for the mill June 1st.

Contributor Note: John A. McGregor was the son of Alexander McGregor and his 2nd wife, Rebecca Putman, whose 1912 obit follows. It seems the Recorder often had difficulty with the spelling of "McGregor," but then so did the stone cutter who misspelled the name on the lovely granite monument at Green Hill.

19 Sept 1887

Death of Samuel A. Lewis

Samuel A. Lewis died last evening, about 7:45 o'clock, at his home in Division street, Port Jackson. Death was due to the infirmities of old age, supplemented by paralysis. Mr. Lewis had been in declining health for a long time, and his demise was not unexpected. Mr. Lewis was born in Goshen, Conn., about 82 years ago, and when about 30 years old became a resident of Port Jackson, where he has since continued to reside. He was connected with the canals under Gov. Bouck. In 1865, he was elected a justice of the peace for the town of Florida, and held the office for some fifteen or sixteen years. In politics he was a sturdy democrat, and ever took an active interest in the welfare of that party. He was a man of strong but honest convictions, and commanded general esteem and respect. Mr. Lewis leave a wife, one son, Chauncey A. Lewis, of Albany, and two daughters, Mrs. D. Underhill and Miss Laura A. Lewis, both also of Albany. The funeral will be held from the house at 3:30 o'clock tomorrow afternoon, the Rev. J.R. Kyle officiating. The remains will be interred in Green Hill Cemetery.

Contributor Note: Per 1870 & 1880 US Census, Florida Twp. Wife of Samuel A. Lewis was Eliza.

Wed., 29 May 1889

Death of Augustus C. Smith

Augustus C. Smith died this morning, at his home on Union street, aged 80 years. He was the father of Mr. John McNaughton. Mr. Smith was a very intelligent man and a great reader. He held several offices under the old village government, and was well known and universally respected.

Contributor Note: according to the 1900 Amsterdam census, the wife of John McNaughton was Harriet, b. Aug 1851.

Tues. 2 Dec 1890


A Prominent Fonda Merchant Takes His Life While Temporarily Insane

Matthew D. Moore, a prominent resident of Fonda, committed suicide this afternoon in the garret of his residence. Mr. Moore had been in poor health for some time past and for the last two months was under the care of Dr. I.I. Buckbee. A week ago he became melancholy and fears for his reason were entertained. About 12:30 this afternoon Dr. Buckbee called at the house as usual, but Mr. Moore was not in his room. The different rooms were searched without result until Dr. Buckbee went to the attic where he found the unfortunate man's body hanging from a rafter, by a clothes line. The physician quickly cut the body down but to no avail, as life was extinct. There is but little doubt that Mr. Moore's illness preyed upon his mind so much that he became deranged and while in this condition took his own life.

Mr. Moore was about 45 years of age and had been engaged in the hardware business at Fonda for the past twenty-five years. He was at one time a partner of Peter Davis and later was the head of the firm Moore & Jansen. For a time he was engaged in business alone, but later associated in business with Mr. Jansen. Mr. Moore was a member of the Reformed church at Fonda, and was a trustee of the district school of that village. He was one of the executors of the will of the late Harvey Kennedy, the millionaire banker who died some months ago in New York. His widow is a niece of Mr. Kennedy and is a daughter of Martin Kennedy of Johnstown. Besides a widow Mr. Moore is survived by one daughter, Libbie.

Contributor Note: The widow of Matthew D. Moore was Julia R. Kennedy, dau. of Martin Kennedy & Elizabeth Ann Clark. Their daughter, Libbie, married John Alexander McGregor in 1892. The banker, Harvey Kennedy, was Martin Kennedy's older brother. According to the 1880 census for Mohawk and the guest list of Libbie & John's wedding, "Mr. Jansen," Matthew's partner in the hardware business, was Ferguson Jansen of Mohawk.

6 Sept 1894


Sidney Smith

Word has been received here announcing the death of Sidney Smith, a former resident of Amsterdam, which occurred last night at his home in Allegany City, PA. The cause of his demise was quick consumption. He was 37 years old and is survived by two children. He was a brother of Elijah Smith of this city, who left this afternoon to attend the funeral. Mr. Smith removed from Amsterdam about 12 years ago, and his many friends here will learn of his death with much regret. He was a whole-souled, genial fellow and was the possessor of a lucrative hotel business. He was a noted athlete and won several prizes and medals in athletic contests.

Mrs. Michael Harrigan

Mrs. Julia Harrigan, wife of Michael Harrigan of 40 Brookside avenue, died at 4 o'clock this morning of general debility, aged 54 years. She is survived by her husband and six children, one son, Morris Harrigan and five daughters.

Contributor note: Rest of obit cut off - original may be obtained from the Dept of History & Archives, Fonda NY. Per the 1870 & 1880 US Census Amsterdam, daughters were: Mary, Julia, Sarah, Margaret, Ella (Ellen) & Josephine.

24 July 1895


Mrs. Henry Bartley

The sad announcement of the death of Mrs. Henry Bartley, which was made last evening came as a surprise to many and brought much sadness to her host of acquaintances. About two weeks ago, Mrs. Bartley, whose maiden name was Jennie Moat, went to New York for the purpose of undergoing an operation for the removal of an internal cancerous growth. The operation was performed one week ago yesterday, and for several days her husband and her brother, Walter Moat, and his wife, who were with her, were delighted in the belief that ultimately she would completely recover from the effects of the operation. But on Monday a change in her condition occurred, and yesterday it became so serious that word was telegraphed home to that effect. Her death ultimately resulted at 4:27 o'clock yesterday afternoon, and the remains were immediately brought to Amsterdam, the body arriving here at 8:24 this morning, and was then taken to Mr. Bartley's home at 131 market street. Mrs. Bartley was a woman of loveable disposition and her friends were innumerable. She was a member of St. Ann's Episcopal church, where her death will be keenly felt. She leaves besides her husband, three small children, Charles, Daisy, and Estelle, her mother, the widow of the late Charles Moat, two brothers, Walter and Worley C. Moat, a step-brother, William J. Moat, of Portsmouth, N.H. and a step-sister, Mrs. William T. Van Wie, of this city. The funeral will occur on the fortieth anniversary of her birth, tomorrow afternoon, at 2 o'clock from the house on Upper Market street. The Rev. E.T. Carroll will officiate and the following are the bearers selected: Charles Howgate, Frank Dean, John H. DeGraff, W.B. Smeallie, R.J. Lindsay and Edward L. Moore. The interment will be made in Green Hill.

15 August 1896

John C. Smith

John C. Smith, a well known resident of this city, died at 3 o'clock this morning at the home of his daughter, at Broadalbin, where he was visiting. Mr. Smith had been out fishing, and it is supposed that he was overcome with the heat, which caused his death. He was aged about 56 years. He was a member of company H., 44th New York Volunteers, and a member of A.H. Terry Post of this city, and was serving his third term as Officer of the Day. Mr. Smith is survived by his widow, two sons and a daughter. Undertaker Hobbins will bring the body to Amsterdam this evening. The funeral will be held from the house, 140 West Main street Monday, and interment will be made in the soldiers' mound in Green Hill Cemetery.

21 Sept 1896


Jacob McClumpha, of the town of Florida, died at 7 o'clock last night. He had been ill for several weeks of a spinal paralysis. He was a son of the late Robert McClumpha, and was born on the farm on which he died. His father died some years ago. Mr. McClumpha married Margheretta, youngest daughter of the late Alexander MacGregor of this city. He was about 42 years of age. Besides his widow he is survived by one daughter, Marjorie, aged five years, and two brothers, John R. McClumpha of Gloversville, and Harvey McClumpha of Niagara county. He was a cousin of the late John McClumpha of this city and also of the late Alonzo and Peter Haslett McClumpha of the town of Florida. He was a brother-in-law of John Alexander MacGregor of this city. Mr. McClumpha was one of the best known farmers in the town of Florida, and the news of his death will be received with deep regret.

The funeral will take place from his late residence tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon at two o'clock. Interment in the family lot in the Chuctanunda cemetery at Minaville.

Contributor note: Jacob was later re-interred in the McClumpha plot (which is adjacent to the McGregor plot family plot) in Green Hill Cemetery along with his wife, Margaretta McGregor & son Earl McClumpha who died in 1884 at the age of 2.



Miss Anna Frances Dey died at her home in Fort Hunter at 12 o'clock noon today of peritonitis, after a week's illness. Miss Dey was 33 years of age and was born and always lived in Fort Hunter. She was the daughter of the late Peter Dey of that village. A young lady of amiable and gentle disposition, lovely character and engaging manner, with excellent intellectual powers, she was esteemed by the entire community. She had many friends also in this city, who will sincerely mourn her death. She had acted for some time as correspondent of The Democrat in Fort Hunter, filling the position in a most acceptable manner.

She survived by her mother, Mrs. Harriet Dey, and one brother, Morris Dey, of The Daily Democrat staff. She was of quiet and retiring nature, strong in her attachments and happiest in the home circle of which she was the central figure, an affectionate and devoted sister and daughter, a steadfast friend, earnest, diligent and faithful in all the duties of life. The loss to the stricken family can only be appreciated by those who have known similar affliction. The funeral arrangements have not yet been completed.

Saturday, 18 Sept 1897


The Assistant District Attorney Shaken Up by Falling into a Culvert.

Assistant District Attorney Florence J. Sullivan met with an accident in Schenectady last evening, but fortunately his mishap was not attended with the serious results at first reported. It seems that he took his bicycle to Schenectady as it was necessary for him to visit the outskirts of the town in order to serve some papers. About 8 o'clock, when riding near the round house in the northern part of the city, on a dark street, his wheel slipped into a culvert and precipitated him headlong to its bottom. Striking on his head a deep gash was cut just over the nose, rendering him unconscious. For fully two hours he lay there in a comatose (sic) state, and then he was found by a passer-by. The injured man was removed to the Ellis hospital, where his wound was dressed. Rumor was current in Amsterdam at an early hour this morning to the effect that Counselor Sullivan had been waylaid by tramps while wheeling homeward, but this was promptly denied as soon as telephonic connection was secured with Schenectady. The physicians will not permit his removal to Amsterdam before tomorrow afternoon.

18 Nov 1897


Michael Smith of 22 Union street died this morning about 4:30 at his late residence of general debility. He was a long and patient sufferer, having been confined to the house for several months. He was educated as a civil engineer and was employed in the building of the Delaware & Hudson railroad and several other large works. He was a veteran of the late war, having been a member of the famous Irish brigade known as the Corcoran legion. He had been a resident of this city for twenty years and was much respected by all who knew him. He is survived by five sons, Mathew, Michael, James, and John of this city and Peter of South Africa, and four daughters, Johanna, Mary, Helen, and Rose, of this city and two brothers, John and Philip of Saratoga. The funeral will take place Saturday morning at 10:30 from his late residence and at 11 o'clock from St. Mary's church. The remains will be taken on the 1:06 train to Saratoga for burial.

Friday, 17 Sept 1897



Mrs. Abram P. Graff of Fonda, who has been ill for a long time, died this morning, aged nearly 90 years. Deceased leaves a daughter, Miss Rachel Graff, and three sons, Isaac and Stephen of Gloversville and Peter of New York, besides other relatives and friends. The funeral will be held at her late residence Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock.

Sat 18 Sept 1897


A Fonda correspondent, in referring to the death of Mrs. Sarah Graff, as noted in yesterday's Democrat, says: Mrs. Sarah Graff, widow of Abraham Graff passed to her rest at Fonda Thursday, in the 90th year of her age. Although long in feeble health, she retained her faculties until the last few days preceding dissolution. Mrs. Graff was the oldest native of the town, and her whole life had been spent in this county. Her grandfather, Ralph Schenck, was a soldier in the Revolution, and fought under Washington at the battle of Monmouth. The family indeed has a number of documents bearing Washington's signature. Her father, William Schenck, built the large brick farm house a few miles west of Fonda, where he had a farm with grist mill and fulling mill, and the place is still called Schenck's Hollow. Mrs. Graff was a member of the Reformed church of Fonda, and the oldest on its record. She is survived by four children, to whom she leaves an honored memory.

Monday, 20 Sept 1897



Mrs. John Smith died shortly after noon Friday at her home near Perth Centre, at the advanced age of 83 years. She had been in feeble health for a number of weeks, and her death was brought about by a general breaking down of the system. Her maiden name was Ann Coons, and a greater portion of her long life had been passed in the vicinity in which she died. Mrs. Smith had long been a devout Christian and a faithful attendant of the United Presbyterian church at Perth. She leaves her husband, one son, Eugene Smith of Perth, two brothers and three sisters, Mrs. A. B. Peck of Bangor, Maine, formerly of Amsterdam, Mrs. Alida Cramer of this city and Mrs. Phoebe Van Brocklin of Gloversville. The funeral was held at 2 o'clock this afternoon from the house and was very largely attended. The interment was made at Broadalbin.

Contributor note: Eugene Smith was the husband of my g-grand aunt Sarah Jane Thompson. Obit of Ann's husband John Smith follows.

Tuesday, 27 Dec 1898


John Smith for many years a prominent resident of Perth, died Saturday afternoon at 5 o'clock near Perth Centre, of neuralgia of the heart. He was about 80 years old. Mrs. Smith who died a little more than a year ago, had numerous relatives in Amsterdam, and Mr. Smith also had many acquaintances here. He leaves one son, Eugene, with whom he resided. The funeral was held at 2 o'clock this afternoon and interment was made in the Broadalbin Cemetery.


Eva Dereich, wife of Fred. V. Miller a well known resident of this city, died Saturday afternoon at 4:20 o'clock at her home, 9 Kimball street. Mrs. Miller had been ailing for the past six years and since last October had been particularly feeble, suffering from a valvular trouble of the heart. She was born at Lyons, Wayne county, Feb 12, 1850, and therefore was in her 49th year. For the past 24 years, she had resided in Amsterdam. She was a member of St. Ann's Episcopal church and was held in warm regard by a large number of acquaintances. Besides her husband, Mrs. Miller is survived by one daughter, Miss Fryda Belle Miller, and the following brothers and sisters: Mrs. Anna M. Genung of Waterloo; Mrs. Lena Geotzman and John Dereich of Lyons; Mrs. S.E. Babcock of Little Falls; Mrs. A.H. Mambert of Kingston, NY; Mrs. Michael Heit of Nashville, Mich.; Mrs. William Platt of Erie, Pa.; Miss Lydia Dereich of Geneva; Philip Dereich of Allegany, Pa., and Charles and Albert Dereich of Pittsburg, Pa.

The funeral was held from the house at 2 o'clock this afternoon, and at 2:30 o'clock from St. Anne's church. There were many handsome floral remembrances. The interment was made in Green Hill. Among those from out of town who attended the obsequies were Mr. and Mrs. Babcock of Little [Falls] and Mrs. Mary Autem and daughter, Edith May, of Waterloo.

Tuesday, 23 August 1898


Henry Smith Fell From His Wagon and Was Killed.


With the Dangling Body the Fiery Stallion Traversed Mile After Mile of Country Roads

A Horrible Fate Which Followed a Debauch in This City

Henry Smith, well known as the manager of the stock farm of Dennis Sweeney, just north of this city, met a horrible fate last night, being dragged to death while driving home from Amsterdam.

About 5 o'clock this morning, a farm hand employed on the farm of Orville Hanson left the tenement house which he occupies for his work, and discovered the lifeless body of Smith lying alongside the road. The back of the head was worn bare of hair and flesh and a portion of the skull, fully two inches in diameter, was pressed in against the brain. The back and shoulders were also bruised and cut while on the forehead were several cuts. The ghastly discovery was soon made known to Mrs. Smith and later Coroner Rulison and Undertakers Merriam & Waterstreet were notified.

Smith left the farm yesterday morning, driving to this city in a democrat wagon, having on board a load of milk which he disposed of in Amsterdam. He brought with him two of his children who are employed here in one of the mills. Instead of returning home after getting rid of the milk he remained in town all day and became intoxicated. He was still in the city at 11 o'clock last night, as at that hour he was seen to pass down Market street opposite police headquarters, and it was noticed then that he was so far under the influence of liquor that it was with difficulty that he was able to walk. It is supposed that shortly after he secured his horse, a rangy stallion of much life, with which he must have started for home about midnight. An investigation was made subsequent to the finding of his body and from what has been learned it seems that Smith, probably while dozing, fell from the wagon near the White Spring. His right foot became caught under the toe board of the wagon, and, so, hanging from the conveyance with his head dangling in the road, he was dragged to his death. From the appearance of the roadway, showing plainly where the body passed, it is known that he was dragged in this position for fully eight miles. The horse with its dead or dying master passed by the Sweeney farm and thence on by the Stebbins and McDonnell farms, making a circuit and coming down the Becky Lepper Road. Then it traversed a square, returning by the Stebbins place again and coming to the Hanson farm. Here it was evidently while the horse was turning around, that the foot became loosened and the body was permitted to fall to the roadside where it was found. Before leaving for home Smith was attired as usual and had on his coat, but when his lifeless remains were found, nothing remained upon them but the shoes, stockings and trousers, the shirt and coat, which were picked up later, having been pulled off in the horrible circuit he had taken. The horse was discovered about a quarter of a mile from the body, grazing beside the road. Coroner Rulison examined the body, but after investigating the case decided that an inquest was unnecessary. The wrenched right leg and the bruises under the knee where it had passed over the edge of the wagon box were additional evidence of the awful plight in which Smith was thrown.

Mr. Smith was born in Germany, September 3, 1854, and hence was almost 44 years old. He had lived in this city and vicinity for many years and for the past seven years has had charge of the Sweeney farm. He was a successful farmer and before taking charge of the Sweeney place had lived in the town of Florida. He was a member of Berlina lodge, No. 298, Knights of Pythias, and of the German Benevolent society, both of this city. He leaves a widow and ten children, the oldest is a girl of sixteen, while the youngest is but an infant. The funeral will be held from the house Thursday afternoon at 1 o'clock and from St. Luke's English Lutheran church in this city at 2 o'clock, the Rev. E. L. Dreibelbis officiating. The two above mentioned societies will attend in a body. The interment will be made in Green Hill.

Monday 8 October 1900


Mrs. Helen C. Smith died at the home of her son, N.B. Smith, No., 277 Guy Park avenue, this morning in the 85th year of her age. The funeral service will be held at the house tomorrow evening at 7:30 o'clock and the remains will be taken Wednesday to Durham, N.Y., for interment.

Tuesday, 12 March 1901



Maud L. Smith, wife of Arthur Smith and daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jason Davis, died at 5 o'clock this morning, at her home, No. 311 Florida avenue, of typhoid pneumonia, aged 22 years. She was a popularly known young woman and her early death is deeply deplored by a host of friends and acquaintances who extend their sincere sympathy to the bereaved husband and parents. She was an active and devout member of the Baptist church. Mr. and Mrs. Smith were married only last summer. Besides her husband and father and mother, she leaves one sister, Miss Lulu Davis, and two brothers, Charles and Jason, Jr. The funeral will be held from the house at 2 p.m. Thursday and at 3 o'clock from the First Baptist church, the Rev. James M. Hutchinson officiating. Interment will be made in Green Hill.


Michael McCarthy, an old and highly respected citizen of this city, died at his home, No. 60 Forbes street, at 9:30 o'clock this morning, of pneumonia, aged 78 years. Mr. McCarthy had been ill only three days. For over fifty years he had been a resident of Amsterdam, and was a tailor by trade. Previous to coming here he resided in Fultonville and conducted a tailoring establishment there. Despite his advanced age, Mr. McCarthy continued to follow his trade until his recent illness. Besides his wife he leaves three daughters, Mrs. John Sullivan, Mrs. J. Meagher, and Miss Jennie McCarthy, all of this city. The funeral arrangements have not as yet been completed.

Friday, 13 Sept 1901



Scott L. Smith died this afternoon at 1:30 o'clock at the home of his brother, Fletcher Smith of the firm of Hull, Smith & Co., No. 252 Guy Park avenue, aged 29 years. Mr. Smith was a native of Cornellville, Greene county, and for the past several years has been employed as bookkeeper and stenographer in the office of Hull, Smith & Co. Besides his mother, Mrs. Diantha Smith of Cornellville, he leaves two sisters Edith A. of Boston and Mrs. Gideon Palmer of Cornellville; three brothers, Truman I., and A.Z., of Cornellville and Fletcher of this city.

The prayer service will be held at the house tomorrow morning at 7:30 o'clock, and the remains will be taken to Cornellville, where the funeral will be held and the interment made.

Monday, 17 August 1903


Survivors of 153rd Regiment Met at Cayadutta Park Friday.

The annual reunion of the survivors of the one Hundred and Fifty-Third regiment, N.Y. Volunteers, was held at Cayadutta park, above Fonda, Friday. It was the twenty-second reunion and probably no preceding gathering was more thoroughly enjoyed. There were in the neighborhood of 100 veterans and their families present. The day was a delightful one and the program, which was of an informal nature, was greatly enjoyed. There were no set speeches, but several of the comrades made addresses which took them back to the days of battle, and the remarks were listened to with much pleasure and interest. The event was more of a family reunion, the veterants' wives and families joining in the pleasure. Since the last rujnion twelve deaths were reported.

The following officers were elected: President, C. B. Clute, Fonda; first vice president, Capt. J. J. Buchanan, Johnstown; second vice president, Capt. J. H. Lassells, Lassellsville; third vice president, Adam Getman, Gloversville; fourth vice president, Charles Coolman, Utica; fifth vice president, Charles H. Powell, Gloversville; chaplain, John Conway, Fultonville; secretary and treasurer, William M. Harris, Gloversville; assistant secretary and treasurer, John K. Dye, Gloversville. It was voted to hold the twenty-third annual reunion at Cayadutta park.

Saturday, 9 Nov 1907



Mary A., wife of the Rev. John Wesley Quinlan, departed this life this morning of acute Bright's disease, aged 69 years and 5 months. The deceased was converted in her early youth. At the age of 23 years, she gave her future life to her husband and to the work of the Methodist Episcopal church, and with noble, heroic endeavor she filled her mission. She was beloved and highly appreciated by the people of every church to which her husband was assigned. Mrs. Quinlan was a cultured, refined woman, a literary critic of a high order, affirm believer in the doctrines of her church and of its polity. She went to every appointment of the Troy conference without one word of fault-finding. For nearly forty-seven years her splendid character stood up beside her now stricken companion, encouraging and cheering him on in every battle for righteousness. For three years the deceased was a sufferer, shut in from the activities of life, and yet she lost none of her interest in Christian work. During all of this time not one murmur passed her lips. Mrs. Quinlan was the beloved mother of five sons, four of whom, with her husband, survive her, Drs. J.W. and George B. and Attorney C.H. Quinlan, of Amsterdam, and Prof. E.E. Quinlan, of New York. The loss of her youngest son, Dr. Fred Holmes, over three years ago, was a severe blow that doubtless hastened her end, though borne with a confiding trust. The funeral will probably be held at two o'clock on Monday at her residence, No., 161 Market street, and will be strictly private.

11 Nov 1907



Nicholas Smith was found dead in his bed Saturday morning at his home near Stever's mills, about two miles east of Broadalbin village. Mr. Smith was 81 years old, but had not complained to any great extent. He was about as usual on Friday and did not complain of any particular illness or suffering. Retiring as usual he failed to appear in the morning and when friends went to arouse him it was found that he had died in the night.

For forty years or more, Mr. Smith has been a familiar figure to the people of Broadalbin as well as to many others. For a good many years he kept the American Hotel, which stood at that time at the corner of Main and North Main streets, in that village, but has since been torn down.

The nearest surviving relatives are Allen Smith, a nephew, and Mrs. George Demarest, a niece. The funeral was held at the house this afternoon at 2 o'clock, the Rev. W.J.C. Wilson, of the Methodist church, officiating. Interment in the Broadalbin cemetery.

13 Feb 1909


Harry Bartley Retires From Retail Trade After Ten Years of Success

Harry Bartley, who in connection with his real estate business, for more than ten years, has been conducting a store, known as the "West End Mercantile Bee Hive," has sold the stock and good will, with a long lease of the store on Guy Park avenue to Robert Brown, a popular and enterprising young man, who not only will uphold the established reputation of this well known business place but will win the "Marathon" in the progressive atmosphere of the west end.

Mr. Bartley, who has seen a good many changes in the business places around him, had become attached to his pleasant surroundings and remarked that if he remained there until the undertaker backed up for him, St. Peter would be stumped to find him a place where he wouldn't be homesick. He fully valued the good will of the school children among his numerous customers, some of whose parents were his "kid" customers when he started.

It has always been difficult to lead a child past Bartley's, especially as it was a temptation to the leaders themselves. In fact there are cases where the first word framed when learning to talk was "Bartie's." Thanking them all, both old and young for the good feeling and custom extended to him, Mr. Bartley trusts the same will be accorded in increased abundance to his deserving successor. After closing up some real estate business he has earned vacation. Real Estate Agent Harry Billington negotiated the sale.

21 Feb 1912


Well Known Real Estate Man Victim of Apoplexy

After Cleaning Sidewalk Veteran Operator is Fatally Stricken
Formerly Managed Local Telegraph Office
Prominent as a Writer on Labor and Socialistic Affairs.

After removing the snow from his sidewalk this morning at 8:30 o'clock, James Bartley, a widely known real estate dealer, was stricken with apoplexy and died before medical aid could be summoned. Mr. Bartley, who resided at No. 23 McDonnell street, was sweeping in the rear of his home and had gone into the house and upstairs. A few moments later, members of the family heard him fall and upon investigating found him, still alive, but unable to speak. Dr. E.F. Bronk was sent for, but Mr. Bartley had passed away before his arrival. Coroner Murphy was later summoned and pronounced death due to apoplexy. Mr. Bartley was about as usual Tuesday, bright and cheerful, and showed no signs of any illness. He gave no indication this morning, to members of his family, that he was not in his customary health.

Mr. Bartley was 65 years old last July, and was born in Cornwall, Canada, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Bartley. While a young man he became deputy postmaster and register of Cornwall and was later located at Belleville, Ontario, where he held a similar position. At the age of twenty-four, he came to Amsterdam, where he was employed as telegraph operator and local agent for the Atlantic and Pacific Telegraph company. Later he became manager of the Western Union Telegraph office which was then associated with the steamship agencies. He retained the management of the telegraph office until about 1887. In 1876 Mr. Bartley became interested in real estate and opened an office here, later being joined by his brother Henry Bartley. They combined insurance with the real estate but disposed of the former branch of the business after a time. He has since conducted a real estate office with more or less profit, his headquarters for several years past being located in the Cassidy building on East Main street.

As a young man, he became an extensive reader, finding great pleasure in the best literature and profit in subjects which the average young man would find unattractive. By much reading and constant application to his books, he gained an extensive knowledge and was known to his intimates as a scholarly gentleman of brilliant attainment. He possessed a remarkably memory. Mr. Bartley was an idealist, not a vacillating idealist, but one who held tenaciously to his belief, though with mind open to argument. Shortly after becoming a resident of this city, he became interested in labor matters, and gave many hours of study to social problems. He became an earnest advocate of labor causes, and wrote much upon the subject. For nearly a year he edited a labor paper known as "The Labor Stage," and in this city he expounded his views upon the subject. Mr. Bartley was strongly in favor of single tax, and was an intimate friend of Henry George. Upon the occasion of a lecture here by Dr. McGlynn, Mr. Bartley was accorded the honor of introducing him. In politics he was independent, championing anything promised to improve social and economical conditions. He frequently wrote articles expressing his opinions upon subjects of public interest, and these were always interesting, logical and reasonable. There was about his writings, as well as about the man, a never failing optimism, an optimism which asserted itself even in moments when the outlook was dubious. James Bartley was generous to a fault, and not infrequently went without, in order that an appealing one might benefit.

He was a distant cousin of the late, Sir George Christopher Trout Bartley, of England, and his early ancestors, on his mother's side, settled in the Mohawk Valley.

Mr. Bartley leaves his wife and three children, a son, James, and two daughters, Florence K. and Blanche, all of this city, and two brothers, Theodore Bartley of Utica and Henry Bartley of this city. Arrangements have not been completed for the funeral.

Friday, 8 March 1912


Word was received in Amsterdam today announcing the death of Mrs. Rebecca Putman, widow of Alexander McGregor, a former resident of this city and the town of Florida, at her home, No. 14 Faxon street, Utica. Mrs. McGregor was stricken with paralysis Wednesday evening and gradually failed until the dissolution between 6 and 7 o'clock this morning. The deceased was in the 86th year of her age.

Mrs. McGregor for many years resided on the south side of the Mohawk river, across from the village of Akin. Later she removed to Amsterdam with her husband, who died here in April, 1896. About seven years ago she took up her residence at Utica, with her son, John A. McGregor, and her daughter, Mrs. Jacob McClumpha. Mrs. McGregor passed her early life in Lewis county. She was a woman of many estimable qualities and during her residence here she endeared herself to many who will sincerely regret to learn of her demise. Besides the son and daughter already mentioned, she is survived by another daughter, Mrs. Lewis A. Casler of Amsterdam, five grandchildren, three great-grandchildren and a half sister, Mrs. Switzer Campbell of Copenhagen, N.Y.

The remains will arrive in Amsterdam Monday and the funeral will be held in the chapel of the Second Presbyterian church Monday afternoon, at 2 o'clock. The Rev. Dr. H.T. McEwen will officiate. Interment in Green Hill.

Contributor note:

The explanation for the number of "Smith" obits is that I am searching for Widow Lydia Smith who was the mother of Deborah Smith, 1st wife of Alexander McGregor. Lydia is behind one of those proverbial "brick walls" that I have long been trying to break through. Her husband (given name unknown) died abt. 1830 and although they had at least 7 children - the only other name I know is Augustus Smith, Lydia's youngest son, who was b. 1829 in Amsterdam or Perth. A record was found of several visits by an Amsterdam physician to the house of the Widow Lydia Smith & her children, but no actual names of the children were recorded. I have yet to see the actual record as the book is in the Ft. Johnson Museum which has been closed whenever I've visited. I have found two Augustus Smith's of the approximate correct age, but it is impossible to eliminate one or the other.

In 1850, both Lydia & Augustus were living with Alexander & Deborah (Smith) McGregor in Florida Twp., but disappeared from records after the Deborah's death in 1853. One would think that with 7 children, there would be more records, but so far that has not been the case. One census says that Lydia was born in Florida Twp., but I've found nothing to verify that. Alex's obit states he married first, "Deborah Smith of Perth in 1836." The McGregor Family Bible verifies that they were married 3 Mar 1836. Lydia's daughter was Deborah, and on the 1860 census, I found a contemporary of Lydia's, Deborah Smith, also a widow, who had a daughter named Lydia. Coincidence, or could the two have been sisters who married brothers or possibly sisters-in-law? I would very much appreciate hearing from any Smith descendent or anyone else who might have information regarding Lydia, b. abt 1784 whose children were born bet 1803-1830 in the Amsterdam area.

Back to Vital Records Section

Back to Town of Amsterdam Section

Back to Montgomery County NYGenWeb

Created: 11/22/06
Updated: 7/31/08
Copyright © 2006 - 2008 Nancy Robinson
All Rights Reserved.
This site is a county site of the USGenWeb Project!