Schenectady and Amsterdam
Schenectady County, NY
Montgomery County, NY
Contributed by Lisa Slaski.
While researching my own Gerling family, I took a closer look at this one as well. Both my own
Gerling family and this one are from the same small town of Hille, Germany. However, they do not
appear to be closely related. The one striking thing about the research that I've found is this
strong link between Hille immigrants who lived in Schenectady, Amsterdam and Fort Hunter! The
connection to Hille for this family and the other Gerling families that I've researched was
provided by Alan Gerling who recently contacted me about my own ancestors. He has been wonderful
in sharing his knowledge of Gerling descendants from Hille! - Lisa Slaski
1. Christian Ludwig Gerling was born 1 Apr 1827 in Hille, Westfalia, Germany. He was the son of Johann Heinrich Gerling and Maria Elisabeth Buhrmeister. He was one of 8 children, 3 of whom died in infancy and 2 brothers died in 1855 and 1872. Along with several children, one sister and one brother were still living at the time of his death; Marie Elisabeth Gerling who married Christian Friedrich Brandhorst in 1851 and was living in Logansport, IN and Ernst Heinrich Gerling was still in Germany. Christian immigrated in 1852 and first settled in Schenectady. He came to Amsterdam between 1870 and 1880 and was a broom maker. He attended the Zion German Lutheran church on Grove street. Christian was married about 1858 to Johanna Fleigmeier. She was born Nov 1837 in Germany and was likely the daughter of Frederick and Sarah "Flackmire" who are found living with Christian and his wife in the 1860 census in Schenectady. In 1880 all his children are residing with them and working in a carpet mill except Henry who's working in a broom shop and the two youngest, ages 6 and 1, who are not working. By 1900 Johanna ("Hannah") had borne 9 children with 7 still living. Christian died 21 May 1907, in Amsterdam. In 1920, Johannah states that she immigrated in 1852 and was naturalized in 1861. She was still living at the time of the 1930 census.
Christian and Hannah had the following children:
1.1. Caroline ("Carrie") Gerling, b. May 1859, never married
1.2. Louisa Gerling, b. Mar 1861, m. Christian F. Miller
1.3. Henry John Gerling, b. Apr 1863, married Elizabeth
1.4. Sophia Gerling, b. abt 1865, m. Henry C. Pohlman
1.5. Elizabeth ("Libbie") Gerling, b. Dec 1868, never married
1.6. William Gerling, b. Sep 1873
1.7. Mary or Mamie Gerling, b. Dec 1878, m. Arthur C. Fegel
1.8. (child) Gerling, died before 1900
1.9. (child) Gerling, died before 1900
1.1. Caroline ("Carrie") Gerling never married. She was a finisher in a knitting mill in 1910 and 1920. She was retired by 1930.
1.2. Louisa Gerling was born Mar 1861 and was married about 1886 to Christian F. Miller. He was born Jun 1859 in Germany. Louisa seems to have died before 1907 as she is not listed in her father's obituary. Her daughter is living with her grandmother in 1910. Clara was a music teacher in 1910 working out of the home.
Louisa and Christian had the following child:
1.2.1. Clara M. Miller, b. Mar 1887.
1.3. Henry John Gerling was born Apr 1863 and was married about 11 Apr 1883 to Elizabeth C. She was born Aug 1863 in Germany and had borne 5 children with 4 surviving by the time of the 1900 census, but in 1910 she states that she only had 4 children with 4 surviving. He started working at a young age in the broom factories in Amsterdam. By 1920 he was a proprietor of his own broom factory. Elizabeth died 8 Sep 1940 and Henry died 30 Apr 1962.
Henry and Elizabeth had the following children:
1.3.1. Harry J. Gerling, b. Dec 1886
1.3.2. Edna A. Gerling, b. 11 Oct 1890, m. Edward B. Stansfield
1.3.3. Margaret L. Gerling, b. Apr 1893, d. before 1940
1.3.4. Wilhelmina F. Gerling, b. 1 Oct 1894, m. William Harlow Delaney
1.4. Sophia Gerling was born Jul 1865 and on 19 Sep 1888 she married Henry C. Pohlman. He was born May 1864 and was the son of Christian Pohlmann and Mary Ossenford. In 1900 they had no children. By 1910 she had borne one child, but it was no longer living. In 1920 he is apparently in business with his brother-in-law Henry John Gerling in the broom factory business.
1.5. Elizabeth ("Libbie") Gerling never married. She was a setter in a carpet mill in 1910, 1920 and 1930 and apparently supporting her older single sister and her mother in 1930.
1.6. William Gerling was born Sep 1873. He is not found in census records after 1900. No further info at this time.
1.7. Mamie (or Mary?) Gerling was born Dec 1878 and married about 1904 to Arthur C. Fegel. He was born Jun 1877 and was the son of Christian and Louisa Fegel of Amsterdam.
Mamie and Arthur had the following child:
1.7.1. Helen L. Fegel, b. abt 1905.
1.3.1. Harry J. Gerling was born Dec 1886 and married about 1911 to Ella R. who was born about 1891 in NY. They resided in Amsterdam in 1940. Harry died 20 Nov 1960 and Ella died 13 Dec 1967.
Harry and Ella had the following child:
126.96.36.199. Beatrice D. Gerling, b. abt 1913 in NY.
1.3.2. Edna A. Gerling was bon 11 Oct 1890 and married about 1910 to Edward B. Stansfield. He was born about 1885 in England and immigrated in 1898. They resided in Amsterdam in 1940. Edna died Jul 1976 and last resided in Amsterdam.
Edna and Edward had the following child:
188.8.131.52. Margorie C. Stansfield, b. abt 1923 in NY.
1.3.4. Wilhelmina F. Gerling was born 1 Oct 1894 and married about 1914 to William Harlow Delaney. He was born 31 Dec 1891 in Watertown, NY and apparently used his middle name (census records have "W. Harlow Delaney"). They resided in Port Washington, NY in 1917 and at that time had two children. They resided in Schenectady in 1940. Harlow died Jul 1966 and last resided in Schenectady. Wilhelmina died Apr 1984 and last resided in Scotia, NY.
Wilhelmina and Harlow had the following child
184.108.40.206. Peggy Delaney, b. abt 1916 in NY.
- Obituary: Amsterdam Evening Recorder, 22 May 1907 for Christian Gerling
- 1860-1930 Federal Census records, various
- Amsterdam Daily Headlines (http://www.mohawkvalleyweb.com/genealogy.html)
- Alan Gerling, Gerling family researcher - Hille records.
- Their Silver Wedding - 11 Apr 1908, Amsterdam Evening Recorder on Mr. and Mrs. Henry Gerling.
- Trinity Evangelical Lutheran church records for Sophie Gerling's marriage to Henry Pohlman.