NOTE: For further information on #46 of this family, Jacob Peter Wagoner, click on the CC next to his name. CC stands for County Connections.
1. HANS WAGNER born c1615, Hinterwald, Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, died c1660, prob Hinterwald, Germany. Because Hinterwald was too small to have a church of its own, his children were all baptized in the nearby village of Dachsenhausen, with its Evangelical Lutheran Church. The name of his wife has not yet been found.
2. i CASPAR WAGNER
3. ii ANNA BARBARA WAGNER
4. iii HENRICH GOTTFRIED WAGNER
5. iv MICHAEL WAGNER married APPOLONIA FREUND
6. v JOHANN PETER WAGNER
7. vi JOHANN PHILIPP WAGNER married ANNA CATHARINA OPEL.
+ 8. vii GEORG DAVID WAGNER married ANNA OTTILIA GEISSIG
9. viii ELIZABETHA CATHARINA WAGNER
10. ix JOHANNES WAGNER
11. x ANNA KUNIGUNDA WAGNER
12. xi MARIA OTTILIA WAGNER
8. GEORG DAVID WAGNER (1.HANS1) was born c1651, at Hinterwald, Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, in a tiny farming community. He died 18 Feb 1701, Dachsenhausen, Germany. Because cemeteries are routinely recycled in Germany, to save valuable land, no record of burial is ever found here.
He married 1 Dec 1678, in Dachsenhausen, Germany, in the Evangelical Lutheran Church
ANNA OTTILIA GEISSIG who was born c1649, Germany, daughter of WILHELM GEISSIG and ANNA MARGARETHA (---). She died 4 Oct 1705, Dachsenhausen, Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, just after another French invasion of the territory. Their children were all baptized in the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Dachsenhausen. The smallness of the family, and the high infant mortality rate, were probably directly related to the aftermath of the 30 Years War, and the constant French invasions following it, as well as the weather induced famines, which occurred in every decade of the 17th century.
13. i JOHANN JACOB WAGNER d.y.
14. ii JOHANN HENRICH WAGNER d.y.
15. iii ANNA MARGARETHA WAGNER probably unmarried.
+ 16. iv JOHANN PHILLIPS PETER WAGNER married MARIA MARGARETHA LAUX
17. v MAGDALENA CATHARINA WAGNER d.y.
16. JOHANN PHILLIPS PETER WAGNER (8.GEORG2, 1.HANS1) was born 4 Oct 1687 at Dachsenhausen, Hesse Darmstadt, Germany. The forename "Johann" is part of a complicated Palatine naming custom about which the experts argue. One thing is clear: his name was not Johannes, and thus could never be translated to John. The Johann was not used for everyday purposes. This man was known by his family, friends, and the government as PETER WAGNER. The family was one of the group of German refugees called Palatines, who landed at New York in July, 1710. PETER died after 1750 probably at Fort Wagner, near present day Nelliston, New York State. He was buried in the tiny farm cemetery on the hill behind the fort.
He married Mar 2 1708, in Dachsenhausen, Germany,
MARIA MARGARETHA LAUX, who was born c1686, a daughter of the shepherd JOHANN JOST LAUX and MARIA CATHERINA (---) Her parents immigrated with the Wagners in 1710. Maria Margaretha died after Jun 1763, probably also at Fort Wagner and was buried with her husband, both in a now unmarked grave.
18. i GEORG PHILIPP WAGNER d.y.
19. ii ANNA MARGARETHA WAGNER married HENRICH DILLENBACH
20. iii MARIA CATHARINA WAGNER married GEORG ROSNER
21. iv OTTILIA (Delia) WAGNER married (1) JOHANN JOST HAUS, son of JOHANN CHRISTIAN HAUS; (2) ISAAC REIT; (3) FREDERICK PLANK.
22. v CATHARINA ELISABETHA WAGNER married GEORG SALTSMAN, son of GEORG SALZMANN and AMALIA (---). d. after 1783.
23. vi MARIA MAGDALENA WAGNER married JOHANNES FAILING.
+ 24. vii JOHANN PETER WAGNER married BARBARA ELISABETHA DACHSTATTER, daughter of GEORGE DACHSTATTER and ANNA ELISABETHA (---)
25. viii MARIA ELISABETHA WAGNER married HENRICH SALTSMAN,
son of GEORG SALZMANN and ANNA MARGARETHA CAPUZZI.
24. JOHANN PETER WAGNER (16.PETER3, 8.GEORG2, 1.HANS1) was born 8 Jan 1722, at Gerlachsdorf which was near present day Schoharie, Schoharie Co., NY. He moved with his family to present day Montgomery County, and, with his father, built Fort Wagner, which still stands just west of Nelliston, NY. He served as a Lt. Colonel during the Revolution and was present at several battles in the Mohawk Valled. There he probably died 23 May 1813, and was buried in the same cemetery as his parents, later reinterred in the Fort Plain Cemetery, Fort Plain, NY, on the other side of the Mohawk River.
He married Feb 1750, in Stone Arabia Trinity Lutheran Church,
BARBARA ELISABETHA DACHSTATTER, who was born in 1722, daughter of GEORGE DACHSTATTER and ANNA ELISABETHA (---). The DACHSTATTERS, like the WAGNER and the LAUX families, were 1710 Palatines. She died 1 Jul 1812, probably at Fort Wagner. She was buried there and then later reinterred with her husband.
+ 26. i JOHANN PETER WAGNER married ANNA/NANCY BELL.
27 ii JOHANN GEORG WAGNER married MARIA ELISABETH NELLIS; (2) MARY LIPE.
28 iii ANNA ELISABETHA WAGNER married GEORGE HOCHENSCHILD.
29 iv MARIA MARGARETHA WAGNER married HENRICH/HENRY JOHANNES KLOCK.
30 v JOHANN J. WAGNER married (1) ELISABETH ALLEN; (2) MARY BLEECKER.
31 vi HANJOST (Joseph) WAGNER married (1) CATHARINA MARIA ABEEL; (2) CATHARINA BARSE.
32 vii ELISABETH WAGNER married ANDREW NELLIS.
33 viii MARIA ELISABETHA WAGNER married WILLIAM W. NELLIS.
34 ix ANNA (Nancy) WAGNER married JOHANN CASPER LIPE.
35 x MARIA CATHARINE (Kate) WAGNER married WILLIAM SALTSMAN.
36 xi MARIA MAGDALENA WAGNER married WILLIAM J. NELLIS.
37 xii WILLIAM WAGNER unmarried
26. JOHANN PETER WAGNER (24.J.PETER4, 16.PETER3, 8.GEORG2, 1.HANS1) was born 6 Nov 1750, at Town of Palatine, Montgomery County, NY. He was a farmer, as his father and grandfather were before him. He served as a lieutenant under his father during the Revolutionary War. JOHANN PETER died 1 Aug 1816 probably at Fort Wagner, town of Palatine. He was reinterred at Fort Plain, Montgomery County.
He married 27 Aug 1782, in the Reformed Church at German Flatts, Herkimer County, NY
ANNA (Nancy) BELL, who was born 2 Feb 1759, a daughter of Capt. GEORGE HENRY BELL and CATHERINE HERKIMER. Capt. BELL, brother-in- law of General Nicholas Herkimer, is credited with carrying him from the Oriskany battlefield and escorting him home, where he died a few days later. ANNA, like many other immigrants, changed her name from ANNA to something she regarded as more American: Nancy. As her husband was known as Peter, she would have beem called Nancy most of her life. She died 16 Oct 1840 and was buried beside her husband.
38 i PETER P. WAGNER married CATARINA LOUCKS, daughter of ADAM and MAGDALENA (LOUCKS) LOUCKS
39 ii CATHARINA WAGNER married JOSEPH (Hanjost) BELL, son of NICHOLAS and CHRISTINA (TEN BROECK) BELL
40 iii JOSEPH P. (Johann Jost) WAGNER married MARIA EACKER, daughter of JACOB and MARIA MARGARET (FINK) EAKER
41 iv WILLIAM P. WAGNER married LEAH KELLER.
42 v MAGDALENA WAGNER married WILLIAM WALRATH, son of ISAAC and MARGRETHA (NELLIS) WALRATH
43 vi GEORGE HENRY (Henry) WAGNER married ELISABETH WALRATH, daughter of ISAAC and MARGRETHA (NELLIS) WALRATH
44 vii NICHOLAUS WAGNER married ELIZABETH KELLER
45 viii JOHANNES (John P.) WAGNER married MARY (Polly) FOX, daughter of JOHN CHRISTOPHER FOX and ELIZABETH DEVENDORFF
CC 46 ix JACOB PETER WAGONER married CAROLINE ABEEL, daughter JACOB ABEEL and ELIZABETH FOX
47 x ABRAHAM WAGNER married MARIA KELLER, daughter of ANDREW KELLER
Created November 1, 1999
Copyright © 1999 Nan Dixon
Copyright © 1999 M. Magill
All Rights Reserved.