The CANAJOHARIE COURIER
June 30, 1938
Vol. No. 59, No. 5
A Special Issue of the Paper Devoted to Historical Articles
Although this issue contained no articles about Beech-Nut, many of the advertisements contain expressions of
gratitude for what the company has done for the community.
Michael Cory Came
Here Three Years
Ago to Practice Law
Attorney Michael P. Cory was born April 18,1908, the son of Herbert E. Cory and
Lillian Cory in Dutchess Junction, New York.
He attended the elementary schools in Beacon and Newburg, and was graduated from the Newburgh Free
Academy in 1925. He studied at Washington College and Albany Law School, and was graduated from the New York
Law School in 1930 with an L. L. B. degree. On May 12, 1932, he was admitted to the Bar in Albany. After serving
a clerkship with Hon. A. H. F. Seeger, Justice of Supreme Court appellate division, Newburgh, he practiced
law in Albany for three and one half years. Since February 12, 1935, he has practised in Canajoharie.
Attorney Corey is a member of the Fort Rensselaer Club, the Reformed Church, and the Men's Clubs of the Reformed
and St. Mark's Churches. He is a member of the New York Law School chapter of Kent Senate Delta Theta Phi and
the Albany Law School's Chancery Society. He belongs to the Montgomery County Bar Association.
On June 30, 1934, he married Priscilla Hammersley.
Local Post Office
Does Record Business
Because Canajoharie probably does more postal business than any other town its size in the United States, the government
rewarded the village with a new $67,886.120 building in 1937.
The one-story brick Post Office, located on the former Planck Sales Stables property, West Main Street, was completed by the Van Guard
Construction Corporation, New York City, November 15, 1937.
Stone steps bordered by a wrought iron balustrade lead from the street to the entrance over which is an aluminum United States eagle.
The main public lobby has lock mail boxes in the left bay and the postmaster's office in the right. Connecting the right and left sides
in the rear portion of the lobby are mail drops and windows for general delivery, stamps, parcel post, registered and C.O.D. mail, money
orders, and postal savings. A large central work room and mailing vestibule, a vault, and financial section occupy the rest of the first
floor. Fuel and boiler rooms, postoffice inspector's roms, and room for employees in addition to damp-proof storage rooms for stamps, and two
storage rooms will be found in the basement.
Handling from $70,000 to $75,000 worth of business annually, the local office does five times as much business as the Fort Plain Post Office.
Monthly remittances of $3,000 to $4,000 are made to the government after office expenses have been paid. The Beech-Nut Packing Company supplies
approximately 75 percent of the receipts. Six hundred patrons are served by lock boxes and general delivery, while 1,112 patrons are served by rural delivery.
City delivery area covers seven-tenths of a square mile while the rural section covered by two carriers, is 76 miles. The local office handles the
Star Route for Ames, Sharon, and Cherry Valley, and serving as an outlet for Roseboom, Pleasant Brook, Springfield, East Springfield, and Richfield
Springs through the Cherry Valley terminal.
With Warren Scott, as postmaster, the postoffice staff includes: Wilbur A. Spraker, assistant postmaster; regular clerks, Victor L. Wagner, Leon W.
Spraker, DeWitt R. Allen, Charles F. Abbey, Douglas Spencer; regular carriers, Harry B. W. Spencer, John O. Phillips; regular substitute clerk,
Leon Mingst; regular substitute carrier, Melvin Stone; mail messenger, George Gordon; rural carrier Herbert E. Miller, George W. Bailey, Jr.; Star Route
carrier, Paul MacDuffee; fireman laborer, Charles Stam.
In 1860 the postoffice was located on Mohawk Street on the present site of Ernie's Restaurant From there it was moved into a small store which has
been replaced by the Canajoharie National Bank. J. C. Smith, postmaster, received permission to move the office to a two story building on the present
site of the New York Power and Light Corporation. Here, his son, Alfred, conducted the business, while he ran a hop business upstairs. About 1904,
the postoffice moved to the Mohawk Block.
Charles Scharff and Ward A. Jones, teller in the Canajoharie National Bank, are the only living ex-postmasters. Among the former postmasters were William
Bain, Timothy Crow, and James Halligan, founder of the Halligan Steamer Company.
Notice of Annual School
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, That the annual school district meeting of the inhabitants of Union Free School District No. 8 in the Town of Canajoharie, N. Y.,
qualified to vote at the school meeting in the said district, will be held on Tuesday, July 12, 1938, at 7:30 o'clock P.M. in the new High School building
in the Village of Canajoharie, N. Y., for the transaction of such business as is authorized by the Education Law of 1910 and the acts amendatory thereto.
Dated June 14th, 1938.
Veronica Cummings, Clerk
Plimy Waner was appointed wood measurer in 1839 at the municipal salary of six cents a load, 12 cents a cord and six cents a pile over five cords.
The first circus to come to Canajoharie was Taft's Circus, which exhibited here in 1837.
ADVERTISEMENTS IN ORDER OF APPEARANCE
Martin E. Hearn, General Insurance, 48 Church Street
Newell W. Chamberlain, Florist, Palatine Bridge
A. C. Sticht, Shoes, Church Street, Canajoharie
Waler P. Fisk, household appliances, 1 Mill Street, Canajoharie
J. W. Shults Coal Co.
Colonial Inn, Leo Smith prop., Fort Plain
Carhart's Economy Store, Canal Street, Fort Plain
Allen Flowers, Fort Plain
The Hay Trade Journal Pub. Co., Canajoharie
Hotel Greeley and Hotel Greeley Coffee Shop, A. G. Muehleck prop., Canal Street, Fort Plain
H. V. Berry Lumber Yards, Canajoharie & Fort Plain
Scholet Furniture Store, Main Street, Fort Plain
Yerdon's Ice Cream, Fort Plain & Utica
Currier Buick Sales, Nelliston
Gotti Grocers, 105 Mohawk Street
Peter Palm and Sons, fruits and vegetables, 71 Mohawk Street
Spraker and Lott, Mobil gas station, Nelliston, "By The Elms"
Maher Bros., clothing, Utica
Geo. J. Ruoff, General Electric automatic oil heaters, Gloversville
John A. Homkey, General Electric automatic oil heaters, Fort Plain
LeRoy C. Ehle, variety store, Canal Street, Fort Plain
The Fashion, women's clothing, Amsterdam
Pardee's, men's clothing, Canal Street, Fort Plain
N. Skaperdas, furrier, 109 E. Main St., Amsterdam
J. E. Larrabee Co., outdoor sporting equipment, 5 Market Street, Amsterdam
Goetz Shoe Store, 16 E. Main Street, Amsterdam (50 years in business)
Sears, Roebuck and Co., Amsterdam
M. Lurie & Co., department store, Amsterdam
Hanson & Dickson, furniture, 35 East Main Street, Amsterdam
Houghtaling's Funeral Service, Canajoharie, "Lady Assistant, Ambulance"
Ernie's Restaurant and Grill, 18 Mohawk Street, Canajoharie
William Bellinger & Son, 16 Church Street, insurance sales for 58 years ("William Bellinger went into the insurance business fully 10 years before the Beech-Nut Company was organized.")
Dievendorf & Roy, Inc., insurance
Planck's Grocery, 1897-1938, S. Wesley Planck
Elm Tree Inn, Route 5S between Canajoharie and Fort Plain
Lucas Steel and Fence Co., Gloversville
Hotel Palatine, Charles Dare prop., Palatine Bridge, located on Route 5
Lossa Pharmacy, Church Street, Canajoharie
Canajoharie Beverage Company, Fred Miller prop. ("When Walter H. Lipe started smoking hams and bacon, I was one of his employees.")
Spraker's Radio Service at Fisk Electrical Store
Reamon & Snyder Barber Shop
Joseph C. Traudt (letter to Bartlett Arkell, president of Beech-Nut, regarding Traudt's taking care of the company's home offices flower beds and boxes since Beech-Nut was founded)
John G. Myers Company, Albany NY (open letter from Myers' president John C. Matson lauding Beech-Nut's business practices)
Isaiah Geesler, plumbing & heating, Fort Plain
Alpert's, women's clothing, 20 East Main Street, Amsterdam
Canajoharie Lumber Co., Erie Boulevard Near The Ball Park
Hotel Amsterdam, East Main Street, Amsterdam
Harold's, formerly A. Mark's Sons, 34 East Main Street, Amsterdam
New American Hotel and Grill, Joe Van Alstine prop., Fort Plain
King's Cut Rate Drug Store, 101 East Main St. next door to Lurie's, Amsterdam
Grand Rapids Furniture House, 102 East Main Street, Amsterdam
CANAJOHARIE CO-OP OWNS
LARGE MILK STATION HERE
The Canajoharie Co-operative Milk Producers, Inc., formed on April 1, 1934, obtained a clear title
for the $54,000 building, equipment, and supplies on April 1 of this year.
Purchased from Brown and Bailey, Brooklyn, the group is headed by John P. A. Failing, president; Leland
Button, vice president; Elmer A. Fredericks, secretary; Merle P. Hodge, treasurer; and the board of directors,
Benjamin Nellis, Charles Pultz, Royce Scott, Loris Ehle, John P. A. Failing, Leland Button and Elmer A. Fredericks.
Frank Kiniry, manager of the creamery, came with the co-operative on June 1, 1934. He had been previously associated
with dairies in Fort Plain and, knowing of his ability, those fostering the local co-operative encouraged him to accept
the position here. Mr. Kiniry took a dairy course at Cornell University in 1904.
The story opens early in 1934, when milk-producers delivering milk to the Brown and Bailey creamery were dissatisfied
with the prices they were receiving. The firm was engaged principally in the manufacture of condensed milk. Learning that
higher prices were not in prospect in the immediate future, they opened negotiations with Brown and Bailey for the purchase
of the local creamery
April 1, 1934, when the creamery opened under the management of the cooperative, there were only 132 patrons
buying 352 cans of milk. In sharp contrast are the present 203 patrons purchasing 1,000 cans. 40,000 quarts are delivered
daily to the creamery.
All patrons are in accord with the management of their affairs. The March, 1938 price was $1.75 per hundredweight for 3.5 milk.
Throughout the months since the inception of the cooperative the prices have been correspondingly higher with those of the
large privately-owned companies.
Significant are the facts that most of the $64,000 in bonds issued when the cooperative was formed, have been taken up,
and that 6 percent interest has been consistently paid on stock issued to patrons. To become a patron a producer subscribes
to one share of stock at par value of $10. Last year the cooperative paid $3,185.16 in dividends.
Not only has the cooperative met its monthly obligations to Brown and Bailey and patrons, but has spent approximately
$28,000 to remodel the creamery, install new holding tanks and a complete system for refrigeration.
Formed Here in
The Canajoharie Citizens' Band which conducted the third concert of the season in White Park last
night was organized February 22, 1922, by a group of music loving men gathered in the rooms of the W. J.
Roser Hook and Ladder Company. Naming themselves the Canajoharie Citizens Band, they elected Harold L.
Carnivals were held during 1922, 1925, and 1926 as a means of financial assistance. Each year the village appropriated
money for summer concerts which are given for ten week periods at White House Park. In 1924, the band filled an
eight-week engagement at Sharon Springs, and played at the reunion of the Twenty-seventh Division in Troy in
1925. In Schenectady they gave a performance the following year.
Frank W. McConkey led the band from its beginning until his death, November, 1936. Otto Stahler is the present director.
TORCH LIGHT PARADE
Interest in politics in this village reached such a high plane in 1861 that it was decided to have a torch light parade
to create additional interest. This was the first procession of the kind in Canajoharie.
Fifty Years With
Ferdinand W. Spraker, president of the Second National Bank of Cooperstown and a native of Canajoharie, was given a
testimonial dinner at the Cooper Inn Saturday night, June 11, in recognition of 50 years of service with the bank.
Mr. Spraker, who resided on Otsego street, left on June 11, 1888, to enter the employ of the bank as a book-keeper. He was
elected a teller in 1892 and assistant cashier in 900. In 1914 he was advanced to the office of cashier and last December 19
was elected president.
All living, present and former officers, directors and employees, with their wives, attended the affair. Seated at the speakers'
table with the guest of honor and Mrs. Spraker were their son and daughter-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Rowan D. Spraker.
Colonial Club Was
Organized in 1898
Under the leadership of Mrs. Preston Yates, the Colonial Club was formed October 13, 1898, to
study Colonial history. Mrs. Newton J. Herrick was vice president, Miss Mabel Smith, secretary,
and Miss Carrie Frey (Mrs. John R. Beach), treasurer.
The club annually sponsored at least one large social function, usually held at the Wagner Opera
House. The custom of presenting Christmas gifts to the residents of the Montgomery County Home
continues to this day. The club meetings feature guest speakers.
Active charter members are Mrs. John R. Beach, Mrs. Frank V. Brownell, Mrs. Walter Gage, Mrs. N. J.
Herrick, Mrs. John Snell, Mrs. B. F. Spraker, and the Misses Florence and Mabel Smith.
Williams Sutherland was granted permission in 1860 to extend his beer cellar as far back under the Cherry Valley
Road as he thinks necessary.
Here in 1884
Canajoharie Lodge, 516, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, was instituted on March 25, 1884, in a ritualistic
ceremony in the Corte Block, where the lodge rooms are now located. This was not the first lodge of the order here,
for there had been an organization flourishing in 1844, but the advent of the Civil War spelled the doom of the lodge
when many of its members joined the Grand Army of the Republic, or became interested in some other phase of the strife.
Since 1884, however, Canajoharie Lodge had held a significant place among the many religious, civic and fraternal
organizations in the village and still has what is considered a representative membership. In addition to the lodge hall,
there are recreation rooms and a dining room in the Odd Fellows Temple, as the Corte Block is more familiarly known.
The officers who instituted the lodge and initiated the officers were: District Deputy Grand Master John T. Fox, assisted
by Noble Grand Henry Gerling, Vice Grand Jacob Markert, Secretary William Brinkman and Treasurer Bernard Machold of
Guttenberg Lodge, 220, of Amsterdam. The charter members of the local chapter were Henry Henk, Adam Gerlack, George D.
Gebauer, Jacob Brown, Augustus Stumphel, and Henry Glosser. The lodge was conducted in the German language until
January 13, 1891, when the work was changed to English.
After the Lodge had been instituted about three month, new quarters were secured in the Arriens block in which place
it remained until April 29, 1926, a period of 42 years.
The lodge celebrated its 24th anniversary on March 25, 1908, by giving a banquet to its members and their families.
The lodge was honored by a visit of Grand Master Joel Drowe on November 3, 1910, and a banquet was given at the Mohawk
Hotel in this village, at which Past Grand Charles E. Hardies of Amsterdam officiated as toastmaster, the principal
speaker being Grand Master Krowe.
On April 18, 1912, Grand Master George W. Steitz, accompanied by Past Grand Charles E. Hardies of Amsterdam and Grand Rep.
Henry V. Borst visited this lodge. The latter a short time later became Grand Sire of the Sovereign Grand Lodge of the World.
The celebration of the 94th anniversary of Odd Fellowship was held on April 25, 1913. An interesting paper on Odd Fellowship
was read by Past District Deputy Grand Master Menzo C. England, after which Fox Sponable of Otsquago Lodge, 507 of
Fort Plain, spoke.
The lodge is one of the six lodges comprising Montgomery District No. 1, until the county was divided into two districts,
on October 6, 1905. Member of this lodge who have served as district deputy grand masters were Henry Henk and John C. Wheeler
before the district was divided, and since that time by Menzo C. England, 1911-12, Edward R. Abeling, 1917-18, by Edward J.
Brown, 1922-23, by H. C. Groff, 1928-29, and George C. Kimmerer, 1934-35.
As its membership increased, it was deemed necessary to obtain larger quarters, and the matter having been discussed for some
time, the first definite action was taken on November 26, 1926 at a meeting of the members, and it was decided to purchase
the Corte block for a new home.
A Temple Association was organized, officers elected, and various committees appointed, and the building purchased a few days
after. On January 15, 1926, work was begun to remodel this block and fit the same for a permanent home, and by April 29, it
was ready for occupancy. The first meeting was held with an attendance of 154 members, and Grand Representative Edgar S.
Mosher o Auburn as speaker. A dinner was prepared and served by members of Old Fort Rebekah Lodge, 242.
At the present time the lodge has 180 members, 60 of whom are past grands. To May 12, 1938, there had been admitted to membership
by initiation, card or transfer, 114 members. Of this membership, the lodge has lost by death 84, by resignation, 10, by
withdrawals, 38, by transfers, 13, by suspensions, 127, making a total of 272.
Church Street Paved
Church Street was first paved in 1844. During the same year there was a movement instigated to lay pump logs from Lieber's
burying ground to the town pump and a committee was appointed by the village board to find suitable land for a cemetery.
Had 78 Charter
Members in 1922
The Legion Auxiliary with 78 charter members was formed October 12, 1922, following an invitation extended
by Raymond W. Smith Post, 222, American Legion.
The newly-formed group appointed Mrs. Minnie Hoffman, president; Mrs. Allen Saul, secretary; Mrs. John Conrad, treasurer.
The application for a charter was signed at a special meeting in the Legion rooms, November 7, 1922.
Past presidents of the group include: Mrs. Hoffman, Mrs. Mary LaFevere, Mrs. Florence Schrader, Mrs. Mary Davies,
Mrs. Alice Smith, Mrs. Kathryn Ambridge, Mrs. Geneva Crooker, Mrs. Etta Maxson, Mrs. Minnie Dopp, Mrs. Inez Dougherty,
Mrs. Marie Schnitzlein and Mrs. Dora Ebeling.
Present officers are: President, Mrs. Minnie Hoffman; vice president, Mrs. Isabel Teeter; secretary, Mrs. Leo Girard;
treasurer, Mrs. William A. Schnitzlein; historian, Mrs. Kathryn Ambridge, and chaplain, Mrs. Hannah Russ.
Here in 1806
Masonic history in this district dates back to 1806 when Hamilton Lodge No. 34, Palatine Bridge, was established by petitioners
of St. Paul's Lodge, No. 64, Bowman's Creek.
Although lodge records until 1849 were destroyed by fire, between 1806 and 1824, Hamilton Lodge had 127 initiations, 22 affiliations,
33 demissions and 1 expulsion.
The present number of 79 was given the lodge in 1850. State Senators James Arkell, John Starin and Webster Wagner were members of
In 1812, "refreshing fees" averaged about $2 an evening and in 1815 refreshments were restricted to one glass of wine and four crackers
to each member. In 1829 the group was suspended until 1840 when meetings were held at the home of Dr. Joseph White.
Five members of Hamilton Lodge have received an appointment to district and state office, they being: John C. Fusmer, assistant grand
lecturer and grand sword bearers; William E. Walrath, district deputy grandmaster for Fulton, Hamilton, Herkimer, Montgomery district; the
late George Tilton, grand steward; Al Bullock, district deputy grand master; and the late Walter Gage, district deputy.
Located Here Recently
The newest member of the Canajoharie medical circle is Dr. Alton J. Spencer, graduate of Albany Medical College in 1936.
Completing his studies at Canajoharie High School in 1923, and Hamilton College in 1928, Dr. Spencer worked at The Research
Laboratory of the General Electric Company in Schenectady from 1928-1932. Following his graduation from Medical School,
he interned at St. Peter's hospital and Brady Maternity hospital in 1936-37.
Born November 27, 1904 at Flat Creek, he is a member of the Reformed Church and Men's Club of this village.
Harold J. Marshall, cashier of the National Sprakers Bank, is serving as first president of the recently-organized Chamber of Commerce of
Canajoharie and Palatine Bridge. The changer is an out-growth of the Canajoharie Business Men's Association and those associated in the business
group have formed a Merchants' Retail Bureau as a part of the chamber organization.
Association members discussed to considerable length the proposal to form a chamber here when it was felt that the association's program was
necessarily limited in scope and that a Chamber of Commerce could do considerably more in the nature of promoting civic enterprise, especially
when its program would have community-wide interest.
No definite program has been given serious consideration as yet, but Mr. Marshall expects to appoint a committee soon to map out plans for the fall
and winter, this committee to outline its proposals in detail at the first annual dinner meeting of the new organization in September.
Those joining the Chamber of Commerce between now and September will become charter members and their membership fee will entitle them to attend
the first annual banquet.
Other officers of the chamber are: Vice-presidents, William E. Kidd, Raul V. Chadsey and Richard Ferraro; treasurer, Ward A. Jones; executive secretary,
C. Everett Dievendorf, and assistant secretary, the Rev. Samuel W. Spear.
Directors are serving as follows: Three years, Harold J. Marshall, the Rev. Samuel W. Spear, Ward A. Jones, Leslie T. Warner and William F. Lamp; directors
for two years, Paul V. Chadsey, William E. Kidd, Richard Ferraro, Newton J. Herrick, Jr., and Fred Smith, and those for one year are, P. T. Sowden, Earle R. Pickett,
Roland A. Reese, Paul V. Chadsey and Livingston F. Lossa.
ATTORNEY BERT H. BROWER WAS
ADMITTED TO THE BAR IN 1911
Attorney Bert H. Brower, former Montgomery County Children's Court Judge, was born in the town of Palatine, June 25, 1883,
the son of Herman Brower and Margaret Schuyler Brower.
Mr. Brower attended the rural school and was graduated from Palatine Bridge High School in 1900, the Canajoharie Teacher's Training
Class in 1902, and Cornell University in 1908. He taught in Lowville Academy in 1908 and 1909, before entering Albany Law School from
which he was graduated in 1911 with an L. L. B. degree.
Admitted to the bar in 1911, he became a clerk in the law offices of Newton J. Herrick in Canajoharie and the following year opened
his own office for the practice of law and has since been located in Canajoharie.
Mr. Brower served as referee in bankruptcy for Montgomery, Hamilton and Fulton counties from 1921 to 1936.
He is now vice-president of the Board of Education at Canajoharie High School, is president of the Board of Trustees of the Reformed
Church in this village, is a past master of Hamilton Lodge, 79, F. & A. M., is a past president of the Past Masters' Association of
Fulton-Herkimer-Montgomery District, and a past sachem of Tariajoras Tribe, 148, Improved Order of Red Men. He is a member of Palatine Union
Grange, 580, and the Fort Rensselaer Club of Canajoharie and a former president of the Canajoharie Kiwanis Club.
In 1915 he married Margaret Wheelock, daughter of Dr. Charles F. Wheelock, former assistant commissioner of education of the State of
New York. They have one daughter, Miss Mary Wheelock Brower.
Note: a photo of Mr. Brower appears on the front page of the paper. The copy of the paper this was transcribed from was heavily damaged.
LOCAL RED CROSS CHAPTER IS
ALWAYS READY IN TIME OF NEED
Fifty-three local women headed by Mrs. B. F. Spraker organized the Canajoharie Red Cross Society April 6,
1917. Membership reached 1500 following the first drive and auxiliary societies were established at Ames,
Rural Grove, Sprout Brook, Sprakers, and Stone Arabia.
Several local organizations supplied free light, telephone, garment cutters and finances to carry on the
work. The National Spraker Bank donated rooms for headquarters. A white ambulance, "Canajoharie" was presented
to the Base Hospital, No. 33, by Mr. and Mrs. Frank E. Barbour and Bartlett Arkell.
The Chapter reorganized November 5, 1926, and apportioned $200 to the Mississippi Flood Relief in May of the
following year. The Red Cross together with the local State Charities Aid distributed flour and cotton material
for clothing issued by the government a few years ago. Sewing meetings were held at the White House, and, in 1935, Miss Irene
McCarthy, R. N., school nurse, taught a class in "Home Hygiene and Care of the Sick." The organization enters a
float in the annual Armistice Day Parade.
Present officers of the branch are Mrs. Frank E. Barbour, chairman; George H. Shineman, treasurer; Mrs. Frederick M.
Goertner, secretary; J. Stafford Ellithorp, Jr., and Richard G. Kimmerer, vice chairman.
Return to Part 1
IMPORTANT: The site coordinators have no information about
any of the persons, locations or events listed above, and are unable to assist you with your research in any way. We thank you in
advance for your refraining from emailing us and directing ALL questions to the local historical societies. Spellings are as printed in the original newspaper and, for historical accuracy, will not be changed.