Lewis Family of Charleston, NY
By Ed and Sherry Golem
Surnames: Cockley/Coakley, Hughes, Jamison, Hathaway, Cheeseborough, Rose, Shafer, Johnson, Jenner
John LEWIS was born 1785 in New Jersey and came to Charleston, NY in 1810 at the age of 25. His connection to the many other Lewis in Montgomery County at that time remains the subject of ongoing research. John married Catherine COAKLEY in 1812 at the First Reformed Dutch Church in Glen, NY. She was born in Saratoga, NY in 1787 and came to Charleston in 1790 with father John COCKLEY/COAKLEY (1756-1845), mother Hannah, and three siblings. John & Catherine were wed for 51 years, living out their lives on the farm in Charleston. John died at the age of 78, Catherine at 80 and they are buried together in Kimball Cemetery in Charleston. Their six children included:
1. The oldest daughter is unknown. Born 1813-1815, we suspect her name was Hannah or Isabelle and was married sometime after 1840.
2. John LEWIS Jr., born about 1815 was a farm laborer who lived in Glen, Montgomery, NY.
3. Caroline LEWIS (1818-1867) married in 1847 at the First Baptist Church in Charleston to Timothy HUGHES b. 1818. He was the son of John HUGHES b. 1780 and Lydia JAMISON b. 1785, both of Charleston. Timothy and Caroline moved to Palmyra, Wayne County, NY sometime before 1860. She died there at age 49 and Timothy and the children eventually move to Camden, NJ where they are shown in the 1880 census. Their children all born NY were:
Helen HUGHES b. 1848, Isabel (Belle) HUGHES b. 1853 and Florence HUGHES b. 1855.
4. Elvira LEWIS, born 1820. She never married and lived at home until her parents' death. In 1870 she is living in Glen, Montgomery, NY near her brother John.
5. Eliza LEWIS (1823-1913) married in 1851 to Henry HATHAWAY (1815-1869) at the First Baptist Church in Charleston. He was the son of Salmon HATHAWAY and Charlotte CHEESEBOROUGH. Eliza and Henry's children all born in Palmyra, Wayne County, NY were:
Lewis HATHAWAY (1852-1933) married in 1891 to Anna A. ROSE (1866-1944). Their children born Erie, PA were: Helen HATHAWAY (1895-1967) married to Arthur SHAFER. Henry HATHAWAY (1897-1979) never married.
James JENNER HATHAWAY (1854-1896).
Catherine Kate HATHAWAY (1865-1935) married Charles H. JOHNSON (1861-1950). Their children were Carlton L. JOHNSON and George A. JOHNSON.
6. Helen LEWIS (1826-1918) was a schoolteacher in Glen, NY. She never married and sometime after 1870 went to live with her widowed sister Eliza and niece Kate. Helen lived to the age of 91.
We would love to hear from anyone researching any Lewis or Hughes lines in Montgomery andHerkimer counties. Ed & Sherry Golem
Copyright © 2002 - 2012 Ed & Sherry Golem
Copyright © 2002 - 2012 Montgomery County NYGenWeb
All Rights Reserved.