PROFILES of DAR CHAPTERS
MONTGOMERY COUNTY, N. Y.
Amsterdam Chapter, Amsterdam, N.Y.
Fort Johnson, Amsterdam, N.Y.
Source: History of New York State Conference Daughters of the American Revolution, Its Officers and Chapters with National Officers from New York and Roster of Real Daughters. Compiled by (Mrs. Frederick) Florence Skidmore Brown Menges, State Historian, and Mrs. Charles White Nash, State Regent. 1923.
The Daughters of the American Revolution is a society of women who can document their lineage back to an ancestor who contributed to the creation of the United States as a nation. Chapters across the U.S. work on projects that preserve and maintain historical locations, buildings, and other cultural resources, and keep the memories alive of events before and since the Revolution. Many local cemeteries and documents have been transcribed by members of area DAR chapters. Some of them no longer exist except for DAR documentation. The marking of soldiers' graves throughout the region is just one of many success stories of the Mohawk Valley chapters.
AMSTERDAM - Amsterdam
Organized 1900 Membership 112
In 1720 the land west of Schenectady was called the "Mohawk's Country." In 1785 a small settlement was made and the Hamlet was called "Veddersburgh." The name was changed to "Amsterdam" in 1808 by a vote at a town meeting held at the house of James Allen, a farm house now owned by the Stephen Sanford estate, being a part of the Hurracana Farm. The vote resulted in a tie, James Allen, being president of the meeting, out of courtesy to the Dutch, cast the vote that gave the name of Amsterdam. The Montgomery Historical Society placed a bronze tablet on the house in honor of the event.
The chapter was organized in 1900 at the home of Mrs. Mary Voorhess Waldron, with ten charter members. The first officers were:
Regent - Mrs. Stephen Sanford.
The chapter marked the grave of James Allen, a Revolutionary soldier; several of his descendants are members of the chapter. Eight other Revolutionary soldiers' graves have been marked. They presented the Historical Society with a pole and large flag for the lawn of Fort Johnson, the home of Sir William Johnson, now owned by the Historical Society. Flags have been presented to all the schools in Amsterdam and Hageman, the Library, the Children's Home and the Home for Elderly Women.
The oldest house in Amsterdam is Guy Park Manor, built in 1763 by Sir William Johnson for his nephew Sir Guy Johnson, who married Sir William's daughter Mary. Through the efforts of this chapter the house has been restored by the State, and the chapter made custodians, which they use as a Chapter House, holding all meetings there, both business and social.
The house is of stone, on the main road west, on the bank of the Mohawk; many articles of historical value are now in the house; it is being furnished with antique furnishings. On Flag Day a sixty-foot steel pole and a large flag were presented to the chapter by the gentlemen of the advisory board. The house is open to visitors, a caretaker being present all the time. At the time of the Revolutionary War, Sir Guy Johnson, who was a rank Tory, fled with his family to Canada where he died.
Guy Park Manor is the scene of Robert W. Chamber's novel "The Hidden Children."
|The profile above was contributed by Asst. County Coordinator Lisa Slaski and typed by volunteer Dick Nabinger. A copy of the book it appears in is available for viewing at the main branch of the Orange County Library System, Orlando, FL. All punctuation, spelling and sentence structure are as appear in the original.|
Copyright © 2000 Dick Nabinger/ M. Magill/ Lisa Slaski
All Rights Reserved.