PROFILES of DAR CHAPTERS
MONTGOMERY COUNTY, N.Y.
Canajoharie Chapter, Canajoharie, N.Y.
Canajoharie Gorge, Lady Slipper Falls, Canajoharie, N.Y.
Source: History of New York State Conference Daughters of the American Revolution, Its Officers and Chapters with National Officers from New York and Roster of Real Daughters. Compiled by (Mrs. Frederick) Florence Skidmore Brown Menges, State Historian, and Mrs. Charles White Nash, State Regent. 1923.
The Daughters of the American Revolution is a society of women who can document their lineage back to an ancestor who contributed to the creation of the United States as a nation. Chapters across the U.S. work on projects that preserve and maintain historical locations, buildings, and other cultural resources, and keep the memories alive of events before and since the Revolution. Many local cemeteries and documents have been transcribed by members of area DAR chapters. Some of them no longer exist except for DAR documentation. Encouragement of historical education throughout the region is just one of many success stories of the Fort Rensselaer chapter.
CANAJOHARIE - Canajoharie
Organized 1906 Membership 93
The chapter was named for the old Fort Rennsealer located near the village of Canajoharie.
The chapter was organized in 1906, with fifteen charter members, and the following were the first officers:
Regent - Mrs. Hettie Bullock
The first year the chapter placed wire baskets in places along the village streets for the reception of waste paper, orange peel, etc., that the streets might be kept clean.
The American Creed, appropriately framed, and an American flag have been placed in every school room in this village and Palatine Bridge; also a printed copy of rules to be observed in showing proper respect to the colors when handling the flag.
For several years a prize of $5.00 has been given in each of these schools to the scholar writing the best essay on a patriotic subject.
The chapter has furnished the D.A.R. magazine to the village library, and has also donated to the same a copy of Sim's History "The Frontiersmen of New York."
The Continental Road leading from this village to Otsego Lake has been marked at this terminus by a drinking fountain of Vermont granite.
A flag and flag staff have been given the local G.A.R. for their plot in the Canajoharie Cemetery. Markers have been placed on the graves of eight Revolutionary soldiers. A concrete base placed under the monument of Col. John Brown, a neat iron fence place around the plot; and a marker placed near the Stone Arabia Church to indicate that Col. Brown and Revolutionary soldiers are buried in the cemetery back of the church.
In 1917 the chapter adopted a French War orphan, and has sent him a Christmas box each year, also contributed for several years to the American International College at Springfield, Mass., to the Berry School and to the Live Oak School.
During the war the members did much Red Cross work, contributed towards and worked for Belgium, bought Liberty Bonds, contributed to rebuilding the French village of Tilloloy and furnish a water system for that village.
It sent two books to the library of Continental Hall and contributed money for the New York State room, and helped pay the debt on the Hall, and has always responded favorably when called on by the Congress to contribute to presents for retiring Presidents-General, their chairs and pictures. It has contributed toward furniture for Herkimer home, the Schuyler Mansion at Albany, and recently purchased a silk flag to be presented to the Raymond Smith Post of the American Legion.
The assessment of sixty cents per member, asked by the National Society, for the "Manual for Information of Immigrants," the Memorial Fountain at Plymouth, and the painting which is to be a gift to the French government have all been paid in full.
The chapter has expended a total of $3,768.95.
JENNIE M. WAGNER,
|The profile above was contributed by Asst. County Coordinator Lisa Slaski and typed by Rita Gros
Parish. A copy of the book it appears in is available for viewing at the main branch
of the Orange County Library System, Orlando, FL. All punctuation, spelling and sentence structure are
as appear in the original.|
Volunteer Rita Gros Parish tells us:
Copyright © 2000 Rita Gros Parish/ M. Magill
All Rights Reserved.