Montgomery County NY
Ancestral Sightings Part 2

Lisa Slaski and Jane Dieffenbacher's abstracting of family profiles from county history books has become one of the most popular resources on the site. Similar profiles, as well as shorter mentions, can turn up anywhere. These profiles, sightings, news tidbits and brief historical interest articles about former Montgomery County residents come from newspapers, books, and specialized reference works.

Many states and NY State counties published books containing short biographies about their local residents, telling where they originally came from, some of whom had Montgomery County roots. Sometimes the genealogical information was quite detailed. The persons whose short bios and info appear below may or may not be your ancestors, but it's worth scanning through them to check out where your own families' relatives migrated and when.

Contributions of similar material can be sent to the site coordinators, putting "Ancestral Sightings" in the subject line of your email. Include accurate reference as to book/source. Published sources must be over 75 years old (copyright law). **No notice is too small.** A one-line mention may be the solution to someone's brick wall.

new 8/16/10   From the Amsterdam Evening Recorder, Thursday, October 26, 1905


Johnson Baronial Home to be Preserved


Wealthy Tivoli Resident, Deeply Interested in Historical Affairs, to Pay Full Cost of Fort Johnson Property, $5,900, and Will Turn it Over to Montgomery County Historical Society.

W. Max Reid, curator of the Montgomery County Historical Society, in response to a request from General John Watts de Peyster, of Tivoli, called upon that gentleman at his home on the banks of the Hudson Wednesday. Mr. Reid was cordially received and the interview with Mr. de Peyster, in regard to the purchase of the baronial mansion of Sir William Johnson, at Akin, resulted satisfactorily. As a result the property will come into the possession of the Montgomery County society as soon as the necessary papers can be made out, which will be within the next few days. Mr. de Peyster assumed the whole cost of the Old property, which is $5,900, and gives a clear title to the property with the provision that when the building ceases to be used for historical purposes it is to revert to him. As soon as possible after the transfer a suitable tablet will be erected in the building as a memorial to the donor. The society will rejoice at the success of its efforts to preserve this old historic property, and the people of the city will rejoice with them, for it is important that such landmarks be retained in as near the original condition as possible.

J. Watts de Peyster, the donor of the property which is soon to come into the possession of the Historical society, is a man of letters. More particularly he has written of early Dutch military geniuses and the characters of that period. It is through family associations that Mr. de Peyster is interested in the purchase of the Akin fort.

new 8/15/10   From the Amsterdam Evening Recorder, October 26, 1907, page 7


Amsterdam Chapter, D.A.R., to Enjoy Hallowe'en Outing at Historic Mohawk Valley Home.

Amsterdam chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, will hold a Hallowe'en party next Thursday evening at the DeGraff homestead, occupied by Mr. and MRs. Edward Teller DeGraff, on the turnpike east of the city. The members of the chapter have the privilege of inviting one guest each, and it is anticipated that about one hundred people will assemble there to enjoy the repast which is to be served by Caterer Payne. The tables are to be decorated in yellow and white, a seasonable combination, while harvest fruits will be provided as favors. Maney's orchestra will be in attendance to supply the musical incentive for dancing, which is to follow the collation.

The DeGraff homestead is especially appropriate for a gathering of the D.A.R., as this house is now over 100 years old, and was the home of Capt. Emanuel DeGraff, who was the local captain during the war for American independence. several of the original war orders from Colonel Visscher, of Caughnawaga, to Captain DeGraff, of Veedersburg, will be on exhibition, and these will give a better idea of what part this locality played in the war than anything that has ever been written.

This old house also was very prominent in the days of the stage coach, as it was one of the most important stops on the Powell line between Albany and Utica, and many interesting tales can be told of the good old days that have gone by. These two subjects will be handled by able speakers, and very interesting and instructive information is expected. There are few families that have lived on the same farm for generations and have held the family name unbroken for 150 years as have the DeGraff's.

Called to St. Johnsville Church.

It is announced that the Rev. C. G. Empie, of Raymertown, Rensselaer county, has accepted the pastorate to the Lutheran congregations of St. Johnsville and Crum Creek, and will assume charge of the pastorate Sunday, November 3. Mr. Empie is a graduate of Hamilton college and of the theological department of Hartwick seminary, and entered the ministry at the 62d annual session of the F. E. L. synod in June, 1899, at Minden. He immediately entered the active work as assistant to the Rev. Dr. N. Van Alstine, at that time pastor of the Raymertown charge, but the failure of whose health incapacitated him from the active work of the ministry. In December, at the close of Dr. Van Alstine's 29th year of service at Raymertown, he succeeded him as permanent pastor, and has remained there in that capacity until the present time. The Rev. Mr. Empie's great uncle, the Rev. W. M. Empie, D.D., who died at Churchtown, Columbia county, in 1896, was well known through this section, having served as pastor at Newville, Frey's Bush and Bethel, in 1852-54, and at Frey's Bush and Starkville, in 1880-84.

new 8/15/10   From the Amsterdam Evening Recorder, July 31, 1931

Harold Feldman, 2d, has returned from Altoona, Pa., where he was the guest for two weeks of his uncle and aunt, Mr. and Mrs. Louis Bergman.

Joseph Davey and daughter of Mechanicville called on "Uncle George" Van Derveer yesterday and remembered him with a large bouquet of flowers. Mr. and Mrs. Reuben Neff of Schenectady, former residents of this city, also paid him a visit yesterday.

new 8/15/10   From the Amsterdam Evening Recorder, March 7, 1910, page 3

Mr. and Mrs. George W. Filkins returned today to Brooklyn after visiting relatives in this city.

Edward C. Kruger has returned to Syracuse, after spending several days at the home of his mother, Mrs. Mary Kruger, of Pine street.

Mrs. Lulu McDuffee, of Charleston Four Corners, was the guest Sunday of Mr. and Mrs. H. S. Simmons, being on her way to Ocean Grove, N.J., to visit her aunt, Mrs. William Collins, formerly of Sharon, who is critically illl.

Friends of Mr. and Mrs. Harry D. Lloyd will be pleased to learn of the arrival at their home, No. 163 St. Nicholas avenue, New York city, of an eight pound baby girl, born Sunday, March 6. Both mother and baby are doing nicely. Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd, formerly of this city, have been residents of the metropolis for the past two years. Mr. Lloyd holds a lucrative position as demonstrator with a large automobile firm.

new 8/15/10   From the Utica Morning Herald, January 11, 1878

Narrow Escape.

Fonda, Jan. 10.- Mrs. Jacob Dockstater, aged about 45 years, residing about two miles east of here, at the turnpike toll-gate, was upon the railroad track about 8 o'clock this morning, picking up coal, and did not observe the approach of a freight train, engine No. 308, going east, which struck her and threw her upon the engine pilot. She was carried over half a mile in that dangerous position. She received a severe cut in the back of her head and was bruised about the hips, but it is thought she is not dangerously injured.

new 8/15/10   Amsterdam Daily Recorder, April 28, 1919, page 9

FOR SALE OR TO RENT.- On account of sickness, will rent or sell 100 acre farm, one mile north of Amsterdam, off upper Steadwell avenue. Excellent soil, full set of buildings, new barn with silo. Can be seen at any time. Very reasonable. Henry C. Fox, R.F.D. 4, Amsterdam, N.Y. Former Klapp farm.

new 8/15/10  From the Utica Herald-Dispatch, February 22, 1909

Lester Hayes and Ernest Dockstader of Colgate College, Hamilton, and Franklin Bowman of Union College, Schenectady, are spending a few days at their homes in town.

Miss Annette Ashley of New Bedford, Mass., is visiting her brother, C. L. Ashley on Kingsbury avenue.

new 2/22/09   Some newsy Canajoharie by-lines.

From the Utica Herald-Dispatch, June 11, 1904


Canajoharie, June 11.- Reuben Snell of Palatine, caused 13 residents of Nelliston to be arrested about a year ago for picking berries on his land. They were each fined $1.25. Since that time there have been many hooks out for Snell. He was recently landed by Geoge H. Billington, one of the aggrieved, on the charge of trespass. The case was scheduled for trial, but Snell wisely settled by paying the cost, $2.15 and the six cents trespass. There is great rejoicing among a certain 13 in Nelliston.

About 40 little folks were entertained from 4 to 8 yesterday afternoon by Mr. and Mrs. Augustus Ariens. It was the tenth birthday anniversary of their daughter Ida. Music was furnished by Mrs. C. A. Hagadorn and dancing was enjoyed in the spacious rooms occupied by Canajoharie Lodge No. _16 T. O. O. F. Miss Ariens was the recipient of many gifts.

From the Utica Herald-Dispatch, April 4, 1907


Ladies Aid Society.

The Ladies' Aid Society of the Methodist Church at their annual meeting elected the following officers: President, Mrs. James Roseborough; First Vice, Miss Mary Stafford; Second Vice, Mrs. Stafford Mosher; Secretary and Treasurer, Mrs. L. M. St. John; Executive Committee, Mrs. A. M. Hodge, chairman; Mrs. C. W. Sleeper, Mrs. C. H. Rickard, Mrs. Dewitt Weils, Mrs. B. F. Diefendorf.

Utica Herald-Dispatch, August 13, 1902

Canajoharie Paragraphs

James Pettit has gone to New York city to be operated upon for the removal of an abnormal cartilage from one of the nostrils.

Dr. Herbert W. Burchard and wife of Syracuse are guests of Miss Viletta Reed at the home of her father, Justice Geo. H. Reed on Otsego street. Dr. Burchard is professor of Greek in Syracuse University, and Miss Reed is a student there.

new 2/22/09

From the Syracuse Evening Telegram, May 23, 1902


Rutland, Vt., May 28.- Thomas J. Crouch, 74 years old, a prominent shoe dealer of Topeka, Kan., and Miss May J. Lane, 68 years old, were married here yesterday by the Rev. Normal Seaver.

Fifty years ago Crouch and Miss Lane were residing in Buel, N. Y. They were engaged to be married. As the result of a lovers' quarrel they separated and shortly after Crouch moved to Topeka and was married in that place.

Miss Lane remained at Buel all her life and never married. Crouch's wife died a few years ago. A few days since he returned to Buel, sought out his sweetheart of half a century ago and they were married.

new 2/22/09

From the Utica Herald-Dispatch, July 25, 1910

Fort Plain

Fort Plain claims to have the champion ice cream eater. His name is Arthur Fish and he is a veteran of the Spanish-American War. At the Miller parlors, on a wager, he recently ate 13 five-cent dishes of cream in 15 minutes and says he is ready to meet all comers who envy him his title.

new 7/31/08  The Dery-Marshall murder trial articles were contributed by Nancy Robinson. Nancy is NOT related to any of the parties, but found this most interesting and adds notations & comments from her census research.

Amsterdam Evening Recorder, Thursday, 13 March 1919


William Marshall, Jr., Dies
Shortly After Being Removed
To the Hospital


Mrs. Nellie Dery, Separated from Her Husband and Living with Marshall, Fires Fatal Missiles, But in Statement Made While in Hysterical State, Asserts That She Intended Shooting at Rats-Victim Separated from his Wife and Children.

   William H. Marshall, Jr., was shot twice through the head at his home in Fort Johnson at 6 o'clock Wednesday evening by Mrs. Nellie Dery, with whom he has lived for the past two years, and died about half an hour later in St. Mary's hospital, without having been able by word or sign to indicate how the shooting occurred. He and Mrs. Dery were alone at the time, and after the arrival of William H. Marshall, Sr., she recovered from the swoon into which she had fallen after the shooting only to become violently hysterical, in which condition she uttered incoherent statements which are not given much weight by the police.

   The shooting must have occurred almost on the hour of 6 o'clock. Marshall had been at his work all day and had returned to his home, and presumably was awaiting supper, for he was found dying in the chair in which he usually sat while looking over his paper preparatory to the evening meal. No other family resides in the same house, and no one outside heard the shots, but at five minutes after 6 o'clock Mrs. Dery called the home of William Marshall, Sr., father of the dead man, on the telephone and said: "Come over right away. Something awful has happened."

Finds Son Dying

   Mr. Marshall hurried to the home of his son and, entering, saw the young man sitting relaxed in his chair with blood pouring out of two bullet wounds in his head, and the death gurgle already in his throat. The woman lay upon the floor beside the telephone the receiver of which hung loose. She seemed to recover almost immediately after the entrance of Mr. Marshall and cried out, "Why did you grab it?" and then burst into incoherent and hysterical talk about rats, claiming, as near as could be gathered, that she had got the revolver to shoot rats on the garbage heap in the rear of the house, and that it had been fired accidentally by her as Marshall had reached for it to demonstrate the operation of shooting to her.

Woman Hysterical

   Mr. Marshall, Sr., telephoned for Dr. [Richard] Canna and the police, in the meantime keeping the crazed woman subdued. Although she is of frail physique, her maniacal strength was such that several times she lifted him clear of the floor while she herself was sitting. The physician upon arrival administered a hypodermic, and the woman was taken to the City hospital and the wounded man to St. Mary's, where he died in less than fifteen minutes after arrival. Either wound would have caused death, and the fact that he lived even as long as he did after the bullets had penetrated his brain showed great vitality.

   Assistant District Attorney William P. Hover went to the scene of the shooting, accompanied by Detective [Louis] Hartigan, Deputy Sheriff Adam Betz and Patrolmen [Matthew] Swan, [Francis J.] Heller and [Thomas] Canna, and immediate investigation was made as far as possible. Marshall, being unable to speak or motion, rendered it out of the question to obtain anything that might be used as evidence from him. The hysterical condition of the woman, either real or feigned, made her statements unsatisfactory.

Claims It Was Accident

   She insisted that the shooting was accidental and that she had merely wished to shoot a rat back of the house, and was walking towards Marshall as he sat in the chair, and the gun went off in her hand after he had reached for it. There were, however, no signs of any struggle. Marshall sat in the chair relaxed and with his head sagging to the right when his father entered, in just the position that might be expected in a man who had received his death summons unawares. There were no powder stains upon his right temple where the bullets had penetrated, just above the ear, nor were there any powder stains upon his hands. The fact that two shots were fired goes further, in the opinion of the police in breaking the theory of accidental shooting.

Relations Seemingly Pleasant

   Mr. Marshall, Sr., this morning stated that the relations between the two had always been of the best, that they had lived happily and so far as he knew had never quarreled. He also stated that it is a fact that his son during the winter had been in the habit of shooting rats from the rear of the porch, but that the woman had never attempted it to his knowledge, and that if she had started to try it, it was for the first time.

Two Bullets in Brain

   The autopsy performed by Coroner [Charles F.] Timmerman at the undertaking rooms of Merriam & Waterstreet revealed the fact that two .32 caliber bullets had penetrated the brain of the dead man. A .32 caliber revolver with two empty chambers was found in the Marshall home.

Not Informed of Death

   Mrs. Dery was seen this morning the hospital by Coroner Timmerman and Detective Hartigan. She did not know that Marshall was dead and asked concerning him. She appeared to be in much better mental state than Wednesday night, but when told that Marshall was in very serious condition relapsed into hysterics again, and no effort was made to get any statement.

   Mrs. Dery was formerly Miss Nellie Bostwick, daughter of Robert Bostwick of Perth, now deceased, and was married to William Dery of Amsterdam about 17 years ago. A daughter, Mildred [Dery], aged about 16, is a resident of Amsterdam. Several years ago the Derys separated and two years ago she and Mr. Marshall began living together, Marshall having been separated from his wife and two children who are now living in Oneida County.

   The dead man was born in Fort Johnson and lived his entire life there. He would have been 28 years of age the 25th of March. He was educated in the public schools and completed the course of the Reynolds Business school, afterward working at the Amsterdam mills as a spinner. Of late years he has been associated with his father as partner in gardening and truck raising. Besides his wife and children, he is survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. William H. Marshall; a brother Herbert [Marshall], and a sister Mable C. [Marshall].

   The funeral, which will be for relatives only, will be held in the undertaking rooms of Merriam & Waterstreet, Saturday afternoon at 3:30 o'clock, the Rev. Dr. E.T. Carroll officiating. Interment in Fair View. The remains may be viewed at the undertaking rooms Friday evening and Saturday forenoon.

No Credence Given Accident Story

   District Attorney [Newton] Herrick arrived in Amsterdam this afternoon and began his investigation of the case, going first to the Marshall home, where the shooting occurred, afterwards to the hospital to question Mrs. Dery. The effort of the prosecution will be to establish a reason for jealousy, as the idea of accidental shooting is not given any credence.

State of Coroner

   Coroner Timmerman, who was on the scene of the shooting within fifteen minutes after it happened, and who worked until 11 o'clock at night, summed the affair up by saying this afternoon: "Nothing has been added to the situation as it stood last night. The woman admits that she pulled the trigger twice, but insists today as she did last night, that she did so accidentally. She is the only living witness of the thing, and the man died without statement."

Transcriber Note: Bracketed given names were added when found from the 1920 US Census, Amsterdam; Bracketed surnames inserted for clarification.

Semi-Weekly Recorder-Democrat, Friday, 23 April 1920


   Nellie Bostwick Dery, of this city, was acquitted in county court at Fonda late Monday afternoon on the charge of murder in the second degree for which she was indicted in May, 1919, for having caused the death of William H. Marshall, Jr., with whom she lived at Fort Johnson, on March 12 of last year.

   The second trial of Mrs. Dery, the first held last summer having resulted in a disagreement of the jury, was commenced before County Judge Hardies Monday of last week. Following the charge to the jury by the court the twelve men retired at 2:52 Monday afternoon for deliberation. Deputy Sheriff [Josiah] Bartlett was first sworn to watch and guard over the jurymen but just as they were filing out of the court room it was recalled that he had been a witness for the prosecution in the cause and he was accordingly withdrawn and Deputies C.B. Hammond, of Fonda, and John B. Dygert, of Fort Plain were sworn in his place. After deliberating for a trifle less than two and a half hours, the jurors sounded the bell of their door and filed into the court room again at 5:20 o'clock with announcement that they had agreed upon a verdict. When interrogated as to their finding by County Clerk [Harry] Loder, Foreman Edward J. Gilbert, of Fonda, arose and said "Not guilty." Mrs. Dery leaned forward, her face overspread with a smile, while her sister, Mrs. Frank Nold, exclaimed, "Oh!" in her joyousness. The clerk continued, "So say you and all of you," and the eleven other jurors responded in the affirmative. Judge Hardies immediately dismissed the jurors with the thanks of the court and entered an order discharging Mrs. Dery. She had been under bail since directly following the disagreement of the jury on the first trial. In reaching the hallway of the court house Mrs. Dery made something of a scene in her hysterical expressions of thanks to the jurors who hurriedly left the building.

   After the trial Mrs. Nold was profuse in her expressions of gratitude to those who had aided in freeing her sister and spoke in high terms of the capable manner in which Attorneys [Christopher J.] Hefferman and [Abner H.] Burtch handled the case, saying that they would be remembered for years to come for their efforts to free Mrs. Dery from the acquisition (sic) made against her.

Transcriber Note: Bracketed names added when found from 1910 US Census, with the exception of Harry Loder which was taken from the 1920 US Census, Amsterdam.

11 Nov 1925

Mildred H. Dery, dau. of William Dery & Nellie Bostwick married Harold George Quiri, son of Alfred V. Quiri and Mary E. Young.

On the 1930 US Census, Mildred & Harold made their home in Tribes Hill; Harold was a clerk in a retail store and Mildred worked as a maker in a knitting mill. No children.

Harold Quiri b. 2 Jan 1898, d. Apr 1985, Tribes Hill
Lena Quiri, b. 13 Jul 1906, d. Nov 1979, Tribes Hill.

These are the only Quiri's listed who died in Tribes Hill with no Mildred Quiri at all. Lena was perhaps the second wife of Harold.

The trial of her mother must have taken a hard toll on teen-aged Mildred; we hope the rest of her life was happy and blessed.

new 5/25/08  Thank you to Ron Miller!

Albany Evening Journal, August 4, 1877

The names and ages of the surviving veterans of the war of 1812, who live in the valley of the Mohawk, are given as follows: Melchoir Bauder, St. Johnsville, 83; George Beck, Ephratah, 84; Benj. Booth, St. Johnsville, 85; John P. Eigenbroodt, St. Johnsville, 86; Jacob Mathise(?), Minden, 84; Pythagoras Wetmore, Canajoharie, 80; Benj. Getman, Ephrata, 84; Henry Lash, Palatine, 88; Cornelius C. Flint, Minden, 84; William Richard, Stark, 83; Abram Moyer, Minden, 84; John Casler, Minden, 85. It is said of this old man that after being totally blind for eight years his sight returned to him, and fortunately he still retains it. Werner Diefendorf, Minden, 82; Henry Nellis, Palatine, 84; Albert Walrath, Danube, 85; Peter G. Dunckle, Minden, 88; Wm. H. Seeber, Minden, 85; John Walrath, Minden, 81; George M. Bauder, Palatine, 92; Moses Winn, Minden, 87. It is hoped that these octogenarians will be able to attend the Oriskany celebration next Monday, although some of them are in such limited pecuniary circumstances that they can ill afford to bear their own expenses there.

new 9/29/07 From the Utica Herald Dispatch, May 20, 1903, page 5.


Mr. and Mrs. Bert Russell of Amsterdam are working at the Farmer's Hotel.

Major D. L. Noggie/Noggle(?) of San Francisco is visiting his sister, Mrs. N. S. Brumley on Montgomery street. Mrs. Brumley will leave the latter part of the week for a month's visit with relatives in Wisconsin.

J. W. Waldron and family of Tarrytown will move into the house vacated to-day by W. K. McCoy's family, who moved to Utica.

Miss Grace Marsh of Albany is visiting her sister, Mrs. Julia M. Seward on Front street.

Charles Hopkins was last night raised to the sublime degree of master Mason by Hamilton Lodge, No. 79, F. & A. M.

new 9/29/07 From the Utica Herald-Dispatch, December 12, 1914.

Fort Plain.

Fred C. Leppert, who has been a guest of his daughter, Mrs. Carl H. Greene, in New York, has returned to Fort Plain.

Frank Andrews of Chicago, Ill., is visiting at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Stephen Douthart.

Mrs. John Abbott of East Orange, N. J. is visiting her sister, Mrs. Thomas Bailey.

Miss Eunice Klinkhart has been a recent guest of her sister, Mrs. William Bradley, at Herkimer.



Mr. and Mrs. William S. Hopkins Had
Exciting Experience on Honeymoon.

St. Johnsville,, Dec. 12.- Word was received by Mr. and Mrs. A. L. Saltsman yesterday from their daughter, Mrs. William S. Hopkins, and her husband, who are on their honeymoon, that they were in a railroad accident on the Lake Shore Railroad Thursday at 5 a .m., when a train crossing over ran into the Lake Shore Limited. Mr. and Mrs. Hopkins, who were married Wednesday evening, were en route to Chicago and were in a sleeper that was very badly wrecked. Five trainmen were injured but none of the passengers.

Mr. and Mrs. George W. Nierman have returned from their honeymoon, which was passed in New York City and with Mr. Nierman's relatives at Fountain City, Ind. They will be at home on Fridays after January 1 at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Van Valkenburg on North Division street.

The condition of Mrs. Clark Saltsman, who suffered the amputation of the right leg at the knee on Thursday morning, is reported as well as can be expectged and that she is quite comfortable.

Mrs. Lizzie Hulsinger of this village is passing a few months at the Montgomery County Tuberculosis Hospital on Swartz Hill near Amsterdam.

Miss Selma Engelhardt is visiting her sister Mrs. J. H. Fuchsius at New Rochelle.

new 9/29/07 From the Utica Herald-Dispatch, Wednesday, November 4, 1914.

Irving Simmons of Mindenville, who is employed by the New York State Dredging Company at Indian Castle on the barge canal, had his left hand and face very badly burned by the explosion of a ___? on the works yesterday. He was taken to his home, where Dr. C. P. Wagner was called to attend him.

A son was born to Mr. and Mrs. Antonio Freino at their home on the Hough street extension, yesterday.

While splitting wood at his home at Lassellville, yesterday, Charles Haughton accidentally drove the ax into the sole of his foot, cutting a fout-inch gash in the bone. Dr. C. P. Wagner was called and dressed the injury.

new 9/29/07 From the Utica Morning Herald, July 14, 1881.

St. Johnsville, July 14.- Harry Vanslyke, a lad living in Mindenville, unintentionally shot himself yesterday afternoon. He snapped the trigger of a revolver a number of times, but the cartridges not exploding, he supposed them to be blank, and placing the muzzle near his left shoulder, said to his sister, who was standing near, "I guess I will shoot myself," and pulled the trigger. The cartridge exploded this time, the ball lodging in the shoulder, inflicting a painful and serious wound. Dr. C. C. Vedder has probed for the ball, but without success. Emphysema has set in, and recovery is very doubtful.

Erastus Carter, a Mindenville blacksmith, received a kick in the head, yesterday, from a mule he was about to shoe. His skull is seriously fractured.

new 9/29/07 From the Richfield Springs Mercury, May 3, 1888.

The Fort Plain Register of last Friday says: Yesterday afternoon while Mrs. William Lintner, of Mindenville, was engaged in boiling soap her clothing caught fire. In her endeavors to extinguish the flames she ran about the yard tearing her clothes from her person. Mr. Lintner and son, who at work in the blacksmith shop nearby, heard her cries and rushed to her assistance. Both the latter were badly burned. Dr. C. C. Vedder of St. Johnsville was called, and did all that could be done to appease her sufferings. Hopes are entertained that Mrs. Lintner and her son will survive, although both are said to be in a critical condition. Mr. Lintner's injuries are slight.

new 9/16/07 From the Utica Herald-Dispatch, Saturday, February 5, 1916, page 12.


Canajoharie, Feb. 5.

After making a heroic struggle for his life in the swift barge canal channel of the Mohawk River at Fort Hunter, Thursday afternoon, John Decker, aged 22/32? years, an iron worker in the employ of Whitehead & Kales, the firm having the contract for reinforcing the iron work of the barge canal bridges through this section, was drowned in view of some fellow workmen who were unable to give him assistance. The body was not recovered and may not be until spring.

The drowned man was formerly a resident of Athens, Pa., from which place he came to Amsterdam to live while working for Whitehead & Kales. He resided with his wife and three small children at No. 2 Wall street. Mrs. Decker's mother is very ill in Athens and she intended going there Thursday. It was pay day for her husband and he had his week's wages safely tucked in one of his pockets to hand over to his wife when he returned home in the evening and she had planned to leave Friday for Athens.

new 9/16/07 From the Utica Morning Herald, January 25, 1875.

New York State News.

Miss Mary O'Connell, of Fort Hunter, aged 22, committed suicide by jumping into the Mohawk, Friday.

new 9/4/07 From the Utica Daily Press, July 29, 1931, page 15.


Blaze on Rouse Farm Caused by
Defective Chimney


Firemen Save Barn Which Caught
Fire From Sparks

Fort Plain, July 28.- Fire, which started from a defective chimney, completely destroyed the residence on the Milton Rouse farm southeast of Prospect Hill, about two miles from the business section of Fort Plain, shortly after 10 a. m. today. There was insurance of $900 carried on the house and contents, which will only partly cover the loss.

The pumper of the Fort Plain Fire Department responded to the alarm and, upon arriving at the fire, were able to save the barn which had caught fire from the sparks of the burning house. Water was used from two wells on the farm.

Mr. and Mrs. Rouse and children lost all of their household and wearing apparel in the blaze. The American Legion Auxiliary of this village, Tuesday afternoon, gathered up clothing for the afflicted family.

Mr. and Mrs. Rouse, fortunately, have an unoccupied house on their farm, which they will be able to use for their home.

new 8/18/07 From the Evening Herald, January 15, 1904. (Syracuse NY)

Canajoharie, Jan. 15.- At the annual meeting of the Bernhard Giliam Hose company, held last evening, the following officers were elected: President, W. J. Cukell; vice presidents, W. J. Roser, T. O. Crough; room committee, E. B. Buknap; recording secretary, Walter Van Buren; treasurer, William M. Murray; foreman, Ralph Quickenbush; first assistant, Philip Breadle; second assistant, B. T. Ehrhardt; pipesmsen, Dallas Dillenbeck, James Klock, Edward Benjamin, jr., Webster Davis; buttmen, William Klock, Alton Dillenbeck.

Miss Lena Cramer has purchased the Kolbe property in Mill street in this village.

From the Evening Herald, December 6, 1899. (Syracuse NY)

Canajoharie, Dec. 6.- George Schrader, who has for some time been the barkeeper at Hotel Wagner, has resigned. Lewis H. Joy succeeds him.

Miss Maggie Dady has been visiting in Utica for several days.

H. D. Neach now has charge of the Canajoharie department of The Herald. Any items of interest he will gladly receive, and they may be handed to the carrier boy.

Pensions Granted.

David Freeman, Van Hornersville (sic), $8 to $12.

The Syracuse Herald, July 1, 1916.


Canajoharie Girl Meets With Tragic Death.


Miss Countryman Tries to Take Shot-
gun From Neighbor, Saying She
Wanted to Shoot Fox Which Killed
Chickens - Struck in Chest.

Canajoharie, July 1.- Miss Cora Countryman, only daughter of Mr. and MRs. Herman Countryman, who reside near Lykers, accidentally shot herself Thursday night at about 8 o'clock, at the home of her parents, with a shotgun.

The father had been troubled by a fox after his chickens and telephoned to Ray Hazzard, a neighbor, to come over to his house and bring his shotgun and they would shoot the fox. Hazzard, who is 21 years of age, arrived at the Countryman home about 8 o'clock and as he was coming through the yard Miss Countryman ran to meet him and exclaimed, "Let me take the gun and shoot the fox." She attempted to take the shotgun from his arms and in some way the trigger of the gun caught in his clothing and discharged it.

Struck in Chest.

The entire contents of the gun struck the young woman in the chest. She took a few steps toward the door of her home and then fell to the ground. Medical aid was at once summoned, but death had resulted almost instantly and the coroner decided that death resulted accidentally.

The deceased was 18 years of age and had resided in that vicinity for some time. She was born at Starkville and her father at present is the cheesemaker in charge of the Maple Grove factory.

Besides her parents the deceased is survived by two brothers, Alfred and Andrew Countryman. The funeral will be held from the home to-morrow morning at 11 o'clock. The Rev. Mr. Leonard of Rural Grove will conduct the services. Burial will be made at Fort Plain.


St. Johnsville, July 1.- Gladys, the 13-months-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Reuben Miller, fell from the second story of their home on North Division street Wednesday and received only slight bruises. That the baby was not seriously injured is most remarkable.

Syracuse Herald, October 13, 1916.


Dr. Simons of Canajoharie Charged
by Grand Jury With Abandon-
ing Wife and Child.

Canajoharie, Oct. 13.- Dr. Willis N. Simons, coroner of Montgomery county, and former resident of St. Johnsville, now missing, was indicted yesterday by the grand jury for abandoning of his wife and infant child. He is a son of Dr. F. E. Simons of this place.

An investigation into his disappearance will be made to see what prompted it. Some of his friends say he has gone abroad with the Canadian Red Cross. Dr. Simons obtained the confession that helped send Lewis Roach to the electric chair for the murder of John Barrett, Palatine farmer. Some threats for his part in the case have been made, but this is scouted by the police.

Syracuse Herald, April 2, 1915, page 24.


Fort Plain, April 2.- Edward Dygert, a well known resident of Nelliston, had been complaining of a swelling on the back of his head, and upon mentioning it in the presence of a physician, the latter examined him and found that a shot was located under the skin. Upon being questioned by the doctor, Mr. Dygert remembered that he had been hit a few days previous by a shot from an air gun in the hands of some small boys. The physician removed the shot, after some probing for it. Several years ago Mr. Dygert had his right hand blown off by a premature explosion of dynamite on a Fourth of July.

new 8/7/07  spotted by Lisa Slaski in the Utica Herald Dispatch, 30 Jan 1901.


Jan 30 - Miss Carrie Widder of Utica is spending a few days with Miss Emma Klinkhart in this village.

Miss Ada Rhinehart has returned from her visit at Gloversville.

Mr. and Mrs. John Lyons entertained the Hotty-Totty Club last evening. Dancing was among the many amusements.

Louis French has accepted a position in a grocery store in Amsterdam. He commenced his new duties Monday.

George C. Farkell of this village has resigned his position in the revenue cutter service and accepted the position of assistant inspector in the Carnegie Steel Company of Pittsburg, Pa.

The New York Central's water works at Yost are now completed, and the plant at Palatine Bridge will soon be abandoned.

Stuart Perry has accepted a position with an Ohio plane concern.

Mr. and Mrs. Charles Ehle were happily surprised Monday evening by a party of friends, it being their 16th wedding anniversary.

The engagement is announced of Frank B. Putnam of Brattleboro, Vt., general agent of the Vermont Loan and Trust Company, to Miss Bertha V. Lipe of this village.

From The Evening Herald, January 30, 1904, page 9 (Syracuse, NY).



Had Come With His Wife From Nelliston to Visit Their Son, Christopher.

Fort Plain, Oct. 18.- At about 6 o'clock last evening Jacob Newman, an old resident of Nelliston, was struck by a local train on the Central railroad tracks, and killed.

Mr. Newman came here yesterday with his wife to visit their son, Christopher, a saloonkeeper. A short time before the accident he was seen walking down the tracks, and soon the train crew reported that they had hit a man. Mr. Newman was almost lifeless when he was reached and died before being taken into the station, where he was carried. He was 79 years old and has a number of relatives inn St. Johnsville, Nelliston and Johnstown. There was a fracture of the skull and four broken ribs. The Coroner will investigate.

From The Evening Herald, February 10, 1900, page 3 (Syracuse NY).




Although They Had Confessed,
They Were Declared Not Guilty -
Two Months in Jail Thought to
Be Enough Punishment.

Special to The Herald:

CANAJOHARIE, Feb. 10.- The trial of Harry Hayes, the boy train wrecker of St. Johnsville who, with another boy, Charles Lasher, were indicted by the Grand jury for attempting to wreck a fast train on the West Shore road at Mindenville on November 29th, has been found not guilty by the jury sitting in the County court. The jury returned a verdict at 6:30 o'clock last night, after being out nearly five hours.

It was a clear case against the boys, but on some theory they were found not guilty. The jury took into consideration that they were young and that they had been punished enough, having spent two months in the county jail at Fonda. The feeling here is that they were guilty of an attempt at murder, and were deserving of a couple years in prison or a term of years in the reformatory.

Both of the boys made confessions after their arrest, but on the witness stand denied their statements and said they were induced to make them by fear and threats.

From The Syracuse Herald, Jan. 21, 1905, page 3.

Fort Plain.

L. A. Dunckel has purchased for John Reinhardt the Valley Brook hotel and the fifteen acres of land of Dewitt Snyder, possession given February 1st.

The Citizen-Advertiser, June 12, 1946, page 1, Auburn, N.Y.

Golfer Killed By Lightning

Amsterdam, June 12- Theodore (Ted) Ellenwood, 26-year-old former speed skating star, was struck and killed by lightning yesterday while playing golf at the Antlers Country Club near here.

Ellenwood, former eastern states and Middle Atlantic speed skating champion, continued playing golf with a companion, after a local thunderstorm broke.

Montgomery County Coroner Peter J. Lucas said the steel shaft of Ellenwood's club apparently furnished a perfect ground for the lightning bolt.

Ellenwood represented the Fort Johnson Athletic Association in numerous ice skating events and in 1942 won the 220 and 440-yard dashes in the National AAU championships at La Crosse, Wis.

His widow and four-month-old child are in Portland, Me., where Ellenwood had expected to join them.

The Syracuse Herald, February 29, 1904, page 3, Syracuse, N.Y.

ST. JOHNSVILLE, Feb. 29.- At a union caucus, held at the engine house Saturday evening, the following were nominated for village officers: President, Fred Englehardt; Trustees, Henry Keller and John J. Reardon; Treasurer, Clark Sultsman; Collector, Livingston Bunder. The Democrats have placed the following ticket in the field: President, Frank Mosher; Trustees, Martin Walrath and Martin Crowley; Treasurer, C. P. Lampman; Collector, Jacob Schiemer.

The reading circle will meet at the home of Mrs. Jacob Lepper in Liberty street this evening.

From The Evening Herald, December 18, 1899, page 3, Syracuse, N.Y.


Miss Bellenger Accused of Sending
Improper Letters Through Mails.

Canajoharie, Dec. 18.- The case of Miss Gracie A. Bellenger of Cherry Valley for sending obscene letters through the mails was up before United States Commissioner Van Steenbergh at the office of Attorney Wheeler Saturday. Miss Bellenger was accused by her sister-in-law, Mrs. Martha Bellenger of Nelliston who is not on friendly terms with Miss Bellenger. The case had three hearings and on Saturday the Commissioner discharged the defendent.

From Otsego Herald, May 4, 1811, Vol. XVII, No. 840, page 4, an Otsego N.Y. paper, "Printed and Published by Elihu Phinney, Near the Court-House."

WHEREAS Charles Rutt of the town of Cherry Valley in the county of Otsego and State of New-York, did for securing the payment of the sum of five hundred dollars lawful money of the State of New York, convey by mortgage bearing date the thirteenth day of November, in the year of our lord one thousand eight hundred and seven, unto Jost Spreaker of the town of Palatine, in the county of Montgomery, and State aforesaid, all that certain piece or parcel of land lying and being in the town of Cherry Valley, in the County of Otsego and State of New York, containing by estimation one hundred and seven an (sic) half acres, whereon the said Charles Rutt then and lately resided, and also all that other certain piece or parcel of land adjoining the afore described premises, and situate in the town and county aforesaid, the said piece of land being described in a certain Quitclaim Deed, executed the ninth day of February in the year one thousand eight hundred and three by Jonathan Hull to Daniel Hardy, reference being thereunto had may more fully appear the said last mentioned piece of land being conveyed to the said Charles Rutt, by Benjamin Potter and Elizabeth his wife, by a quit claim deed bearing date the fifth day of March, one thousand eight hundred and seven, reference being thereunto had, will more fully appear. And whereas default has been made in the payment of the said sum of money with the interest; Notice is therefore hereby given, that by virtue of a power contained in the said mortgage, and in pursuance of the statute in such case made and provided, the said tract of land last above mentioned and described, will be sold at public vendue, at the house of John Walton, Inn keeper, in the said town of Cherry Valley, on Tuesday the second day of July next, at two o'clock in the afternoon of that day.

By his attorney, J. D. HAMMOND Dated Dec. 17th, 1810

From Otsego Republican, September 27, 1847, Vol. XIX, No. 21, page 3.


PURSUANT to an act entitled "An Act to provide for the incorporation of Companies to construct Plank Roads, and of Companies to construct Turnpike Roads," passed May 7th, 1847, notice is hereby given that Books of Subscriptions will be opened on the 15th day of July next, at the house of Solomon Bowen, in the village of Fort Plain, in the county of Montgomery; at the store of Abraham R. Van Horne, in the town of Stark, in the county of Herkimer; at the house of John Van Alstine in the town of Springfield, and at the house of Zebulon Willoughby in the villlage of Cooperstown, in the county of Otsego, for the stock of a Plank Road to be constructed from the Utica & Schenectady Railroad, opposite Fort Plain, in Montgomery county, to the village of Cooperstown, in the county of Otsego, where said Books will be kept and continued until an amount sufficient to construct said Road is subscribed.
Dated June 29, 1847.

NOTICE is hereby given that an application will be made to the Board of Supervisors of the County of Otsego, at the next annual meeting on the 8th day of November next, by the 'Cherry Valley and Canojoharie (sic) Plank Road Company,' to lay out and construct a Plank Road from the village of Cherry Valley, in the County of Otsego, to the Village of Canojoharie, in the County of Montgomery, passing through the towns of Cherry Valley and Canojoharie, and that the said Company be authorized to take the real estate necessary for that purpose.
By order of the Board of Directors.
P. WETMORE, Secretary.
August 14, 1847.

From The Morris Chronicle, November 27, 1878, page 2 (an Otsego County NY newspaper):

S. R. BARNES of Colliersville, has been awarded the contract of remodeling the Fort Plain Seminary buildings in order to convert them into the Clinton Liberal Institute. The price paid Mr. Barnes is $26,500. This includes the carpenter work, masonry and painting. (page 3)

From The Otsego Republican, August 20, 1890, Vol. 62, No. 1, page 3 (a Cooperstown NY newspaper):

Richfield Springs and Fort Plain Railroad.

Two meetings in the interest of the proposed Fort Plain and Richfield Springs road have been held at Springfield Centre during the past week. On Wednesday last an enthusiastic meeting was held when the greater part of the right of way was guaranteed. This meeting was adjourned until Monday at which time Mr. A. E. Davis of New York, agreed to have the road built by JUne 1st next, if $75,000 of the mortgage bonds would be taken, with the right of way given. These requirements were accepted by the meeting, which said that the bonds would be taken and the right of way given. Those interested in the project say they look forward to the immediate construction of the road. A party of engineers will go over the route at once.

From The Otsego Republican, December 5, 1842, Vol. 14, No. 30, page 4.

For Sale.

The Subscriber offers for sale, a three story brick building of modern construction, being 46 feet square and containing two stores, and several other rooms used as offices, situate on the corner of Church and Main streets, Canajoharie, and within 100 feet of the Erie canal, being in the most central business portion of said village, and will command an annual rent of nearly $400. Also a lot containing half an acre of ground lying in the western part of said village. Also 63 acres of wood land situate 2 1/2 miles south of said village of Canajoharie. The above or any part will be sold cheap, or exchanged for improved land or other real estate in Otsego County, or vicinity.
Cooperstown, Sept. 19, 1842.

Found in The Otsego Republican, Aug. 20, 1890, page 3.

Henry Dunkel of Canajoharie, has been the past week at his son-in-law's, Ferdinand Spraker.

new 9/7/06  This NYC & HR Railroad accident account was contributed by Barb Gese. Barb is interested in Palatine Bridge history and has contributed much of what you'll read in our Town of Palatine section.

New York Times
Nov. 16, 1887

Fatal Boiler Explosion

Utica, N. Y., Nov. 15 [1887]. -- The boiler of engine No. 496, drawing a live stock train on the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad, exploded at Palatine Bridge at 8:50 A. M. today, killing the fireman, John GINGRASS, of Albany, and severely injuring Engineer William MITCHELL, also of Albany. The engineer was conscious, and at last accounts it was thought that he had a good chance for recovery. The engine had been run through from Rome to Palatine Bridge without taking water. The boiler had become dry and hot, and when cold water was let into it at Palatine Bridge the explosion occurred. It is reported that a brakeman who was on the engine was blown some distance, but escaped injury.

A recent find and a bit of extra research from asst. coordinator Lisa Slaski.

Journal and Republican, Lowville, NY, 1 Jan 1903


Henry Wolf of Amsterdam, is spending a few days with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Wolf.

With a little online research I found the following: Joseph Wolf (also spelled Wolff) was born about 1851 in Alsace-Lorraine. He immigrated about 1871 to the US and was married about 1876 to Catherine ("Kate") who was born about 1856 in NY. They resided in Croghan in the town of New Bremen. They had the following children: George John (b. 3 Jan 1878), Henry (b. 7 Jun 1879), Frank (b. about 1881), Joseph jr. (b. about 1883), Edward (b. abt 1885), Mary (b. abt 1886), Katie (b. about 1888), Victor (b. about 1889), Clemment Bernard (b. 29 July 1896). George moved to Hagaman, Henry and Clemment to Amsterdam. Both Joseph and Catherine were living in the 1930 census in the town of New Bremen. An announcement of the marriage of their eldest son reads:

Journal and Republican, Lowville, NY, 21 Jun 1906

The marriage of George J. Wolf, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Wolf, and Miss Mary Janette Carney, took place at St. Joseph's church, Broadalbin, Wednesday, June 20th, at 8 o'clock p.m. After the ceremony a reception was given at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas W. Carney, Hagaman, NY.

Information extracted from The New York Times by asst. coordinator Lisa Slaski. All names are exactly as spelled in the original official State of New York book and will not be changed. We thank you in advance for directing ALL questions about persons and events listed to the appropriate historical societies, not to the site coordinators.

All of the following are from the New York Times

New York Times,11 Nov 1854

Distressing Accident

Correspondence of the New York Daily Times

Root, N.Y., Wednesday, Nov. 8, 1854

On Sunday morning, the 5th instant, a melancholy accident occurred in Root, Montgomery County, which resulted in the death of Mr. John Simmons, of Argusville, Schoharie County. Mr. Horace Scott, after a lingering illness, died about 7 o'clock Sunday morning. His son-in-law, Mr. J. Simmons, and wife, residing in Argusville, about 3 miles distant, on hearing of the death of their father, started for the residence of Mr. Scott. When about one hundred yards from the house their horse took fright at a hog lying on the roadside. Mr. Simmons was thrown from the wagon and dragged some distance, and mangled in a most shocking manner. He died of his injuries in less than an hour. Mr. Simmons leaves a distracted widow and five children to mourn his loss. The double funeral of Mr. Scott and his son-in-law, Mr. Simmons, took place on Tuesday morning, in the church at Charleston Four Corners.

New York Times,20 Nov 1866

Fire at Fort Plain

Fort Plain, Montgomery County, NY

Monday Nov 19

M. F. Kemp's broom factory and warehouse were entirely destroyed by fire last night. His loss is about $6,000, partly insured. Solomon Smith's loss is about $1,500 on broomcorn stored in a house adjoining.

New York Times,16 Feb 1868

Grist-mill Burned at Fort Plain

Fort Plain, Saturday, Feb. 15.

A grist-mill belonging to L. W. and C. Diffendorf, of this place, was totally destroyed by fire last night. Loss about $11,000; insured for $5,000. A dwelling near by, belonging to J. D. Burke, was badly damaged.

New York Times,21 May 1885

Suicide by Drowning

Amsterdam, N.Y., May 20 - James Adams, a prominent young man of Fort Plain, plunged into the Erie Canal last evening and drowned himself. He first plunged in with all his clothes on but was rescued. A few minutes later when unobserved he plunged in a second time, and before he could be rescued he was drowned. He was 29 years old and is believed to have been insane.

New York Times,30 Aug 1896

Found After Many Months

Body of a Missing Man Discovered in the North Woods.

Schenectady, N.Y., Aug. 29 - Dennis W. Collins of the livery firm of Collins & Boyd of Amsterdam has received a letter announcing that the body of his brother, John Collins, has been found in the North woods, fifteen miles beyond Lake Piseco. The young man left Amsterdam for Piseco to work in the lumber camp with his brother, and on Oct. 28 last disappeared.

Vigilant search was made for him during the several weeks following his disappearance, but no trace of his whereabouts could be found. It is supposed, however, that a party of hunters came across his decomposed body in the remote country where he had doubtless wandered after having lost his bearings in the forest region.

The accounts of the finding of the body are very meagre. A messenger has been dispatched to Wells for a coffin, and as soon as possible the body will be brought to Amsterdam, where the interment will be made.

Oswego Daily Times,Saturday, 25 Aug 1894

Serious Accident

A German named Owen Britt about 35 years old, while threshing oats at Tribe's Hill Thursday had his left foot caught in the machine and torn off. The leg was also crushed to the knee. He died in Amsterdam hospital last night.

new 1/28/06  Information extracted from The New York Times by asst. coordinator Lisa Slaski. All names are exactly as spelled in the original official State of New York book and will not be changed. We thank you in advance for directing ALL questions about persons and events listed to the appropriate historical societies, not to the site coordinators.

New York Times, 9 Apr 1879

German Methodists
End of the Annual Conference
Some of the Appointments
New York District
Troy, N.Y., J. F. Leidel
Fort Hunter, N.Y., O. Kindler [others mentioned]

New York Times, 26 May 1890

The Earth Trembled
An Earthquake Shock Felt Through the Mohawk Valley

Utica, N.Y., May 25 - Shortly after 7 A.M. to-day the Mohawk Valley was disturbed by a slight shock of earthquake, accompanied by lightning and heavy winds. The shock in this vicinity was very light, but increased in intensity to Montgomery County, where at Fort Hunter it was quite severe. At Little Falls dishes were rattled and a rumbling as of distant thunder was heard. At Fort Hunter buildings were shaken and beds moved so that occupants were awakened.

In Utica dishes were rattled and some people report a slight vibration, but shocks were hardly perceptible. No damage was done in any quarter. This is the first seismal phenomenon of note here since 1884.

New York Times, 2 Apr 1890

Tribe's Hill, N.Y., April 1 - In consequence of the brooms manufactured at the Auburn and Onondaga County prisons being sold at much less than the market price, the members of the Broom Manufacturers' Association of the Mohawk Valley say they cannot compete with these prices and consequently will shut down their factories. For some time the factories have been run on half time.

New York Times, 29 Nov 1894

A Broom Consolidation

Amsterdam, N.Y., Nov. 28 - The following broom concerns have formed a stock company under the name of American Broom and Brush Company: Goodman Manufacturing Company, of Richmond, Va.; Dallas Broom Company, of Dallas, Penn; E. Howard & Sons, of Fort Hunter, and Myers & Parker, of Fultonville. To-day the company bought the broom plant of John D. Blood & Co., in this city, which is the oldest and largest in the country. The main office ofthe company will be in New York.

New York Times, 15 Aug 1897

A Passenger on the Mexico

De Witt A. De Vendorf of New York State Has an Exciting Adventure.

Amsterdam, N.Y., Aug. 14 - De Witt A. De Vendorf of Fort Hunter, who has been on a pleasure trip to Alaska, was a passenger on the ill-fated steamer Mexico, which sank off the coast of British Columbia a few days ago. From the particulars just received it is learned that Mr. De Vendorf had a most exciting adventure, being in the water for something like twelve hours before he was rescued. Like other passengers, he lost all his baggage.

New York Times, 20 May 1898

fourth-class postmaster appointments
Fort Hunter, Charles W. Runkle
[others listed]

New York Times, 29 Jul 1900

Amsterdam, N.Y., July 28 - The village of Fort Hunter was visited this afternoon by the most destructive fire in its history. Becker's Hotel, barns, and sheds, and Newkirk's house were totally destroyed. Six other houses caught fire and were partially burned. Total loss, $20,000. The village has no fire apparatus.

New York Times, 8 Apr 1902

Appointments of Pastors

German Methodist Conference at Schenectady Adjourns Schenectady, N.Y., April 7. - The thirty-seventh annual conference of the German Methodist Episcopal Church came to a close this morning. The appointments follow:

Amsterdam, N.Y. - W. H. Kurth
Fort Hunter, N.Y. - J. Flad
[others listed]

New York Times, 27 Mar 1904

Mohawk Valley Floods Stop Railroad Traffic

New York Central and West Shore Tracks Under Water

Situation Growing Critical

If Ice Gorges Break, Much Damage Will Ensue - Ice in Upper Delaware Breaks and Water Submerges Towns.

Amsterdam, N.Y., March 26 - Railroad traffic through the Mohawk Valley was entirely suspended this evening because of washouts and high water at Fort Plain and Ilion, and the valley is threatened by one of the greatest floods in its history. It is necessary to send Central and West Shore trains from Oneida to Albany by way of the Ontario and Western to Sydney, and thence over the Delaware and Hudson tracks.

The New York Central tracks at Akin are under two feet of water, and similar conditions prevail at Palatine.

At Fort Plain the Central's tracks are under from three to five feet of water from that station to a point three miles west. At East Creek, nine miles west of Fort Plain, the Central's four tracks are under tons of ice and debris and the road has been blocked since noon. The West Shore tracks, too, are under many feet of water.

Fort Plain is completely cut off from the outside world. All of the manufacturing section and part of the residential district are under water many feet deep. The Bailey Knitting Mills, the largest in the Mohawk Valley, and the Hix furniture factory are flooded to the first floors, and the local plant of the Borden's Condensed Milk Company to the second floor.

Large trees and telegraph, telephone, and electric light poles in the pathway of the torrent have been washed away, with the result that Fort Plain is almost without wire communication, and is in absolute darkness so far as electric lights are concerned. It is feared that the worst is to come, as the water is steadily rising.

Despite falling temperature, the situation is most menacing to-night. The water has already attained an unprecedented height above the ice gorge, three miles west of this city, and there is also a great gorge three miles east of here. Should it break great damage is apprehended in the lower valley.

Half the valley of Fort Hunter, at the mouth of the Schoharie River, is inundated and the water is still rising rapidly as a result of the ice in the Schoharie having passed down to-night to the Erie Canal aqueduct where it is choked. Some of the houses are surrounded by ten feet of water. From Fort Hunter east to this city the canal and Mohawk River are running as one stream, which means much damage to the State waterway.

New York Times, 28 Mar 1904

Amsterdam, N.Y., March 27 - The Mohawk River fell two feet or more here today, but all danger is not yet passed, as the ice has not gone out from Fort Hunter westward. The New York Central tracks are still under water. Central accommodation train No. 56, due here yesterday noon, arrived here to-night. The passengers were obliged to leave the train at Fort Plain by crawling over the tops of the cars to an overhead crossing bridge.

New York Times, 2 Apr 1904

Albany - Dexter & Co., manufacturers of silk gloves and mitts at Fort Hunter have gone into bankruptcy with liabilities of $12,267 and assets $9,863. Of the liabilities, $7,619 is secured.

New York Times, 17 Mar 1912

Amsterdam, N.Y., March 16 - The ice passed out of the lower portion of the Schoharie River into the Mohawk at Fort Hunter early this morning. The river rose four feet in ten minutes, but subsided almost as quickly when the waters rushed through the village. The high school and several dwellings were slightly damaged, but the break in the jam in the Mohawk soon lessened all possibility of harm.

new 1/25/06  Information extracted from Fifty-fifth Annual Report of the New York State Agricultural Society for the Year 1895. Albany and New York: Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford Co., State Printers. 1896. All names are exactly as spelled in the original official State of New York book and will not be changed. We thank you in advance for directing ALL questions about persons listed to the appropriate historical societies, not to the site coordinators.


Ingersoll, George, Fonda
Shannahan, James, Tribe's Hill
Van Deusen, H. A., Canajoharie
Van Horn, G. H. F., Fonda
Van Horn, Abram, Fonda
Van Horn, John S., Fonda
Wemple, Edward, Fultonville
Wemple, Robert, Fultonville

new 1/24/06  Information extracted from Fifth Annual Report of the Education Department, For the school year ending July 31, 1908. Albany: New York State Education Department. 1909. All names are exactly as spelled in the original official State of New York book and will not be changed. We thank you in advance for directing ALL questions about persons listed to the appropriate historical societies, not to the site coordinators.


Classical course
Luella Viola Carnrite - Amsterdam


Two year professional course
Pearl Cawdor MacKenzie - St. Johnsville

ONEONTA NORMAL SCHOOL - graduates 1908

Normal Course
Anna W. Blood - Amsterdam

Kindergarten Course
Bertha K. Cogavan - Amsterdam

Classical Course
Esther White - Ames

POTSDAM NORMAL SCHOOL - graduates 1908

Kindergarten Alta May Whitcomb - Dolgeville

School Commissioners in the State of New York for the Term of 3 Years
Ending December 31, 1908 with Post Office and Express Addresses

Revised to August 1, 1908

County, Name, Post Office, Express Office
Montgomery - Arthur W. Smith, St. Johnsville, St. Johnsville

Superintendents of Schools in the cities of the State
Revised to August 1, 1908

Amsterdam - Harrison T. Morrow

new 1/11/06  These biographical sketches of the Hawver brothers come from History of McHenry County, Illinois: together with sketches of its cities, villages and towns, educational, religious, civil, military, and political history, portraits of prominent persons, and biographies of representative citizens. Chicago: Inter-State Publishing Co. 1885.

JOHN HAWVER, section 2, Chemung Township, was born in Canajoharie, Montgomery Co., N. Y., April 7, 1820, a son of John I. and Catherine (DOBBS) Hawver, natives of New York. When twenty years of age he came with his brother Peter to Illinois and settled in Chemung Township, McHenry County. During harvest he worked for $12 a month, and money being scarce took his pay in cattle and hay. He finally got himself a farm, was married and commenced life. In 1853 he went to Green County, Wis., and remained until the fall of 1869, when he returned to Big Foot Prairie and bought the old Nathaniel Smith farm where he has since resided. He owns 170 acres of choice land, fifty acres lying in Alden Township. He is one of the most enterprising farmers of the township, and an influential and highly esteemed gentleman. Mr. Hawver was married July 9, 1848, to Jane E. Hicks, a native of Schoharie County, N.Y., daughter of John and Henrietta (BALDWIN) HICKS. They have a family of five children - Leonora, born April 15, 1850, is the wife of Jame Barnes, of Chemung Township; J. S., born May 18, 1852, married to Fidelia Hildreth; Monroe D., born April 14, 1854, married Esther Bell; Ulysses S., born May 26, 1864, and Chester C., born May 28, 1874, are at home. Mr. Hawver has experienced all the phases of pioneer life and has lived to see the county brought to its advanced state of cultivation. In 1884 he made a trip to California, and while there witnessed the capture of a whale from the deck of the vessel which captured it. (pp. 478-479)

PETER D. HAWVER has been a resident of Chemung Township, McHenry County, since May, 1840. He was born in Canajoharie, Montgomery Co., N. Y., March 28, 1814, a son of John J. and Catherine (DOBBS) Hawver. His father was a poor man, and Peter, being the oldest son, was obliged to assist in the support of the family. When sixteen years of age he was bound to a carpenter for five years, but because of the man's cruelty he left him after a year and a half and worked for different farmers, remaining with one man six years. In 1840 he came West, and arrived in Chicago, May 24. From there came direct to McHenry County and bought eighty acres of the farm where he now lives. He added to his original purchase from time to time, till he owned 540 acres of the finest land in the State. He has reserved the old homestead of 132 acres, and has divided the rest among his children. In his early life he was economical and saved his earnings, and the result has been prosperity. He has been an enterprising citizen and has been influential in both business and social circles. He was married Feb. 12, 1835, to Christina HARDENDORF, a native of Canajoharie, N.Y., born Feb. 13, 1815, a daughter of Jacob and Hannah (CLOW) Hardendorf, natives of New York, of Holland descent. To them have been born ten children, eight of whom are living - Charles T., born Sept. 4, 1836, married Henrietta Staley, March 4, 1857; Dewey F., born Feb. 6, 1839, is in San Francisco, Cal.; Laura, born July 17, 1841, probably the first while girl born in Chemung Township, is the wife of Ezra Avery, of Eau Claire County, Wis., married Jan. 31, 1859; Mary E., born June 25, 1846, was married Nov. 16, 1871, to Henry Huntley, of Sharon, Wis.; Lydia, born Aug. 2, 1850, was married Sept. 13, 1868, to James H. Staley; Oren P., born June 6, 1853, was married Dec. 23, 1875, to Ella Bell, and resides in Walworth County, Wis.; Sumner, born Sept. 22, 1856, was married Jan. 28, 1878, to Edith Mills; Louisa C., born Oct. 1, 1860, was married Dec. 4, 1879, to Darwin Gillis, Walworth County, Wis. Five of the children are living within two miles and a half of the old homestead. Mr. and Mrs. Hawver are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Their ancestors were among the early settlers of this country and were heroes of the war of the Revolution. (p. 479)

new 12/29/05  Alva Oathout's biographical sketch was graciously donated by Mary Hitchcock! Source: The History of Johnson County Iowa 1836-1882. P.885.

Alva Oathout. The subject of this sketch is a farmer, residing in Lincoln township; was born 1833, in Montgomery county New York, on a farm; settled in Johnson county, in 1857. He was married in 1862 to Miss Sophia Wonser, of Iowa City, lived in Iowa City six months, and moved to Graham township and lived there ten years; after which time settled on the farm on which he now resides. They have a family of four children: Ida, born March, 1863; Anna, born 1865; Rosanna, born 1869; Burt born 1877. Mr. Oathout is a republican in politics, and was elected township trustee in the fall of 1876, and has held the office ever since.

The following 10 City of Amsterdam men attended Princeton University. Names abstracted from Princeton University Alumni Directory, 18th Edition. Princeton University Press: Princeton, N.J. October 1, 1948. There was no notation regarding being deceased, or whether the villages were their hometowns when attending the university or where residing in 1948.

' = graduate of a particular class year
* = recipient of higher degree
- = non-graduate
no mark = undergraduate at time directory was printed
g = non-graduate of the graduate school

CAMERON, J.A., Amsterdam, *27
CLINE, J.M., Amsterdam, *27
COOPER, O.S., Amsterdam, -30
DONNELLY, J. McK., Jr., Amsterdam, '43
FRENCH, C.E., Amsterdam, '94
GILBERT, V.M., Amsterdam, g-43
GRIFFITHS, R.B., Amsterdam, *39
PHELPS, H.R., Amsterdam, 52
THERKILDSEN, A.O., Amsterdam, -37
VOORHEES, J.L., Amsterdam, '94

Henry Fralick's biographical sketch comes from History of the City of Grand Rapids, Michigan, by Albert Baxter. Grand Rapids: Munsell & Company, 1891. Pp. 680-681.

HENRY FRALICK is a native of Minden, Montgomery county, N. Y., born Feb. 9, 1812. His father, Abraham Fralick, formerly of Columbia county, N. Y., was a Captain in the war of 1812. His grandfather was one of a family of fifteen boys, eleven of whom served in the Revolutionary War, in which four of them were killed, and the other seven were wounded. His mother was Mary E., daughter of Henry Keller, who served as a member in both houses of the New York Legislature. Henry Fralick was educated in the district schools of his native place, and of Wayne county, N. Y., where his father moved in 1824; laboring also with his father on the farm till the family moved to Plymouth, Michigan, in October, 1827. In 1829 he left home and found employment on a passenger boat of the Erie Canal for two years, becoming Captain of the boat the second year. In 1832 he shipped as a hand before the mast on a whaling vessel for the South Atlantic and Indian Oceans, the voyage lasting two years, and for his services received a one-hundred-and-fiftieth part of the cargo - his share amounting to eighteen barrels of oil, which he sold for $25 per barrel, and whalebone from which he realized about $150 more. Among his exciting adventures during this voyage was the capture of a sperm whale sixteen feet in diameter and ninety-six long, and being in the boat which was fastened to the whale, he was towed in a circle at the rate of twenty miles an hour a distance of some eighty miles, when the whale went down, taking a mile and a half of line before stopping. From the head of this fish they secured about forty-eight barrels of oil, the whole fish yielding 110 barrels, worth near $4,000. In 1834 Mr. Fralick shipped as third mate in a vessel bound for Rio Janeiro and other South American ports, the trip lasting about seven months, after which he was engaged for a year on coasting vessels, and then returned to Michigan. In 1836 he became clerk of the Michigan Exchange Hotel in Detroit, staying there nine months, when he returned to Plymouth and entered the store of Henry B. Holbrook. In 1838 he purchased the stock and began trade for himself, taking two partners after a few months, the firm name being, Austin, Fralick & Co. Three years later he sold his interest in this business, bought a lumber mill and built a flouring mill. After two years he sold his mills and again engaged in merchandizing; but in 1860 sold his store and goods. His next move was to Grand Rapids, in 1861, where, in partnership with William B. Ledyard, he engaged in banking, doing a successful business until 1865, when the firm dissolved and the City National Bank was organized, in which and also in its successor, the National City Bank, he has since been a prominent stockholder and member of the Board of Directors. When the Civil War began in 1861, he, with his brother and Mr. Penniman, raised and equipped the first company of three-years men, and during the Rebellion gave liberally of his energy and means in support of the Union cause. In 1867 he again entered the mercantile trade, but after two years abandoned it and began in the real estate and money loan business, in which he is still engaged. In 1872 he, with others, organized the Grand Rapids Chair Company, in which he was a director for three years and its' President two years. He is also a principal partner in the Worden Furniture Company, which gives employment to about 160 hands. In public and official life he has rendered much and faithful service. He has been Justice of the Peace, Supervisor, County Auditor; for thirty years a school officer, and for four years President of the Grand Rapids Board of Education; a Trustee and Treasurer of Olivet College for twelve years, which position he still holds, and also for three terms has served as a member of the State Legislature. In the latter capacity, in 1853, in the Senate, he presented a petition with over 100,000 signatures in favor of the passage of the prohibitory measure known as the Maine Law, and a bill for it which, after amendment, was made a law. In 1850 he was a member of the Convention which framed the present State Constitution. In 1871 he was appointed by the Governor one of the committee for the distribution of relief funds to the sufferers by the great fires of that year; devoted, gratuitously, seven months of his time to that work, and his labors in their behalf will ever be gratefully remembered. In 1875 he was appointed one of the Board of Managers to represent this State at the National Centennial Exposition in 1876. To that service he gave about seven months, and to his efforts is largely due the prominence which Michigan there attained. Mr. Fralick has for eighteen years been a member of the Executive Committee of the Michigan State Agricultural Society, and its President two years; a member of the State Pioneer Society for ten years, a member of its Executive Committee four years, and its President one year. He has also held and satisfactorily performed the responsible duties of United States Jury Commissioner for the Western District of Michigan for eight years, and held the office of Notary Public forty-two years. Besides, he has served as Trustee of the First Congregational Church and Society of Grand Rapids for nine years, and its President five years. It is apparent that the life of Mr. Fralick has been a busy and useful one. He seems to have known no such thing as tiring, to have been "instant in season" and all the time in the performance of every duty devolving upon him, and his industrial, methodical career is one well worthy of emulation. Mr. Fralick married, May 23, 1837, Corinne A., daughter of Henry Lyon, one of the first settlers of Plymouth, Mich. She died Oct. 16, 1840. April 22, 1842, he married Jeanette Woodruff (nee Sloan), of the same town, who died at Grand Rapids, Mich., much beloved, March 27, 1884. They had five children, of whom four - Henry S. Fralick, Mrs. C. W. Valentine, Mrs. Dr. Watson and Mrs. A. E. Worden are living. As an influential citizen and a man of conscientious integrity, of energy and liberal generosity, Mr. Fralick stands in high repute, not only in Grand Rapids, but generally throughout the State.

George VanCamp's biographical sketch was contributed by VanSlyke family researcher Cheryl Potter!

Following is from: History of Mower County, Minnesota
Compiled by the Inter-State Historical Company
Published by The Free Press Publishing House
Mankato, Minnesota, 1884

George VanCamp came to Mower county in 1859, spent two years in Lyle, then moved to Windom and remained there until the fall of 1862. He then took a homestead in section 4, town of Nevada. He built a log house and improved fifty acres. In 1874, he sold out and moved to Austin. He soon after commenced to buy grain at Varco, which he continued to do for two years. He then bought the place he now occupies in section 24, town of Austin. He is engaged in raising grain and stock, paying particular attention to raising fine horses. He is a native of New York State, born in Montgomery county, October 4, 1833. His early education was received in the district school, advanced by one term at Little Falls Academy, and one term at Fort Plain Seminary. He remained a resident of New York State until 1858, when he started west for a new home. He spent one year in Mitchell county, Iowa then selected Mower county as his future home. He was married in 1854 to Emeline Moyer. She was born in Herkimer county, New York. They have two children, named Lawrence and Kate.

Note: Emeline VanCamp is a cousin to my gg-grandmother Nancy VanSlyke Brown Reynolds.

I also just found this in the history so decided to contribute it. Mr. French is not related to me in any way.

Andrew J. French came to the town of Windom in October, 1861, at which time he purchased eighty acres of land in section seven, and forty acres in the section joining in the town of Austin.

The land in Windom was unimproved, with the exception of one acre, which had been broken. There was a log house on the place into which the family moved, and in which they resided until 1872, when he erected a frame house which they now occupy. Mr. French has improved and beautified the place by planting shade and fruit trees as well as shrubs. He was born in the town of Amsterdam, Montgomery County, New York, November 30, 1824. When he was fifteen years old his parents moved to Oneida county, where he grew to manhood. He was joined in marriage February 7, 1850, to Mary A. Carter. She was born in the town of Solon, Chenango county, New York. They lived in Oneida county until 1861. In March of that year came to Mower county and spent the summer one mile west of Austin, coming from there to Windom, as before stated. Mr. And Mrs. French are the parents of six children, Charles J. was born March 29, 1852 and died March 18, 1873. Frances L., Marshall E., Marcia A., born January 11, 1862; died March 21, 1884, John H., Minnie D. Since coming to the county, Mr. French has been prominent in both town and county affairs. He has served as County Commissioner, and in the town has filled the office of Supervisor, Assessor and Justice of the Peace.

From The Valley Breeze, Friday March 21, 1913, p. 5. Published in Van Etten, Chemung County, NY.

Binghamton- James M. Wood, a resident of Amsterdam and connected with the Rumford Chemical Co., was found hanging in his room in the Lewis House. Wood was about the hotel Saturday. After Saturday night he was not seen until an employee entering his room found the body suspended from the bed, where it had been hanging since early Sunday morning.

Spotted in "The World Book Encyclopedia," 1962 edition, Vol 1, p.254, as one of 9 "Famous Alaskans":

DIMOND, ANTHONY J. (1881-1953), a champion of Alaskan statehood, served as the territory's Democratic delegate to Congress from 1933 to 1945. President Franklin D. Roosevelt appointed him to a federal judgeship in 1944. Born in Palatine Bridge, N.Y., Dimond went to Alaska in 1904 as a prospector and miner. He later studied law, and was admitted to the bar in 1913.

Spotted by the site coordinator in "History of the Seneca Baptist Association with Sketches of Churches and Pastors," by Lewis Halsey. Illustrated. Ithaca, N.Y.: Journal Association Book and Job Printing House. 1879.

HENRY LAWRENCE GROSE. Born, Minden, Mont. Co., Sept. 26, 1816. "According to ritual of Reformed church subjected to water sprinkling at hands of Rev. John D. Spinner, father of F.E. Spinner, Treasurer U.S." Began the study of the classics at seven years of age, taught by his father, Hon. Henry Grose, who was educated at Columbia Coll., by his uncle Jno. D. Grose, D.D., Prof. in that Institution and an author of note. The name was spelled Gros by his French ancestors. Studied Greek, Hebrew, and the modern languages. Began the study of medicine, and edited a newspaper at seventeen years of age. B'd. at Owego, where he completed his medical studies. Student at Oneida Institute. L., by Whitesboro church, C.P. Sheldon, pastor, Aug. 1, 1840. Maried, Sept. 1840, Emma L. Seward, a cousin of William H. Seward. O., West Danby, Tompkins Co., Jan. 7, 1841. B.R. Swick, Mod., P. Taylor, Clerk of council. Sermon by P.B. Peck. Dea. Eaton, the celebrated canal missionary, gave the charge to the candidate's wife. A church edifice was built, over 30 were baptized. P., Coxsackie, 1842-3; 31 baptisms. On one occasion when eight persons were baptized, as each went up out of the water, these words were repeated: "And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water, and lo, the heavens were opened upon him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and resting upon him." A flock of doves came hovering over the waters, and at the sixth repetition of the words, one lighted upon Mr. Grose's right shoulder, and there remained until he had received the seventh candidate. This marvel was the means of the conversion of one of the most violent opposers of religion in the community. P., Ithaca, Athens, North East, Dutchess Co., the oldest, strongest church in the Association, the church of Jas. M. Winchell, author of Winchell's Watts, of Dr. Jas. B. Simmons, and of Edward Clark, the missionary, who was baptised by Mr. Grose. Compelled by paraplegia to resign his charge. P., Galway, 1858; and Prof. of Latin in Galway Academy. Baptised and fitted for college by Frank B. Wilkie, (Union) chief ed. staff Chicago Times; and Chas. E. Hewitt, (U. of R.) pastor in Chicago. Prepared a history of the Saratoga Ass'n, for its Jubilee semi-centennial anniversary, June 27-19, 1854, and labored earnestly to secure the success of the celebration. Gave historical address April 13, 1856, at semi-centennial celebration of Moreau temperance society, said to be the oldest total abstinence society in the world. Again resigned on account of a relapse, 1857. Spent some time traveling in the far West. In 1858, he was persuaded, by his valued friend, Dr. Adams Cleghorn, to undertake the charge of the church at Mannville. Not recovering his health, he purchased the Ballston Journal, of which he is still editor and publisher. Preached as supply at Burnt HIlls, and for several months at First church Saratoga Springs, also at Saugerties, Stillwater, Middle Grove. P., Hydeville, Vt., 1867-73. Received a call to Milton North, that mother of churches, in Dec. 1878, and is yet pastor there. He has been in the ministry 32 years, serving 8 churches as pastor, 5 as stated supply, and his record is that "he has never served a people whom he did not love, and from whome he did not receive abundant evidence of reciprocal esteem." Preached 3501 sermons; in 105 different places in NY., 37 in other states. Baptized 223 persons. His writings have been various and voluminous, including besides discussions, biographies, and histories: "The church Institution;" "The Fourteen Apostles;" "On Divorce;" "Power of Ecclesiastical Councils," etc. Mr. Grose has four sons and four daughters. The sons are all engaged in editorial work, one of them, a U. of R., graduate, being on the Staff of the Chicago Tribune. His oldest daughter is the wife of J.A. Smith, D.D., editor of The Standard, "the great Baptist paper of the West," and is the author of several books published by the A.B. P.S., Mr. Grose has been Sec'y of the N.Y.S. Temp. Soc'y.; Chaplain 29th Reg't. N.G.S.N.Y.; School Com'r., succeeding Hon. Neil Gilmour, Supt. of public instruction; and has been called to fill many other civil and ecclesiastical offices of trust and responsibility. He received from Gov. Fenton an appointment in the Adjutant General's Department, which he held for two years. Such, in brief, is the record of a remarkably changeful, eventful, and useful life. [pp. 242-243]

Spotted in The World Book Encyclopedia, 1962 edition, Vol 1, p.254, as one of 9 "Famous Alaskans":

JACKSON, SHELDON (1834-1909), was a pioneer Alaskan missionary and educator. He became a Presbyterian minister in 1858, and served until 1885 as a missionary to Indian tribes in several western states. He then became the commissioner of education for Alaska, and held this office until his death. Jackson was born in Minaville, N.Y.

The following students were spotted by the site coordinator inThe Cornell University Registry 1883-84, published by The University, Ithaca, New York. For further information about them, please refer to the local historical societies.




Burr, Lucius Franklin, St. Johnsville, Science and Letters
Vedder, Herman Klock, St. Johnsville, Civil Engineering

Transferred from Town of Charleston page, a tidbit sent in several years ago by NelCyn

Found in Kane Co. Illinois Biographical Record, 1898, complete entry on request:

The Honorable Silvanus WILCOX was born in 1818 in Charleston, Montgomery Co.,NY, the son of Elijah and Sally (SHULER) Wilcox. Both were natives of NY, Elijah born in Charleston, Sally in the town of Florida. 10 children were born of this union. Elijah served as county commissioner, collector of tolls on the Erie Canal, and various other town offices. He also served as general in the State Militia. Elijah came to Kane co. in 1842. His father Silvanus Wilcox was a native of Dutchess Co. NY, of Welsh origin, and a Rev. War soldier. He died in Fultonville at age 87. Sally Shuler's father John was born near Catskill, of German parents. He served as Justice of the Peace in Florida, dying at age 86. In 1840 Mr. Wilcox (Jr) married Jane Malloy, the dau of Henry and Polly (BENT) MALLOY, of Yankee Hill, Florida, Mont. Co. She died in 1884.

Spotted by the site coordinator in the newspaper "Hudson Gazette," Vol. 87, Number 50, Whole No. 4468, Thursday, June 29, 1871, published in Hudson, Columbia County, N.Y.


At Fultonville, N.Y., on the 7th inst., by Rev. Francis M. Kip, D.D., assisted by the Rev. Isaac L. Kip, Rev. Francis M. Kip, Jr., Pastor of Reformed Church, Fultonville, to Anna A., daughter of the late William B. Wemple, Esq.

Spotted by the site coordinator in "History of Luzerne, Lackawanna and Wyoming Counties, Pa. with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of Their Prominent Men and Pioneers." New York: W.W. Munsell & Co. 1880.

JAMES RUTHVEN, accountant in the coal office of the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad Company, Scranton, was born in New York city, September 3d, 1826, and married Mary A. Archibald, of Auriesville, N.Y. He has served as burgess and councilman of Scranton borough, school director and jury commissioner, and as quartermaster of the 13th regiment N.G. Pennsylvania. (p. 438S, Lackawanna County)

JOHN F. SNYDER, civil and mining engineer, Scranton, was born in Auriesvlle, N.Y., October 22nd, 1835, and married Mary Fisher, of Albany, N.Y. (p. 438S, Lackawanna County)

Spotted by the site coordinator in "Catalogue of the Officers and Students of Rutgers College, New Brunswick, N.J., 1875-'76." New-Brunswick, N.J.: Fredonian Steam Book and Job Printing House, 36 Dennis Street. 1875.

HARTLEY, Rev. Isaac S., D.D., Utica, N.Y. Date of election June 17, 1873.

Junior Class, Scientific Section
BARNES, William Gardner, Fonda, N.Y., rooms at Left College

Freshman Class, Classical Section
DINGMAN, ALonzo Clarence, Minden, N.Y., rooms at 146 French St.

Spotted by assistant coordinator Lisa Slaski in "History of San Joaquin County, California, with Biographical Sketches of the Leading Men and Women of the County Who Have Been Identified with Its Growth and Development from the Early Days to the Present," by George H. Tinkham. Los Angeles: Historic Record Company. 1923.

BRADNER CURTIS.- It is ever interesting to recount the life events of the pioneer, who endured the privations of this new country and passed through the hardships and dangers incident to a sea voyage in a sailing vessel following the gold discovery in California. Bradner Curtis was born in Williamson, Wayne county, New York, January 9, 1825, and in young manhood he learned to be a pattern maker and was employed by his brother, who engaged in the foundry business and in manufacturing agricultural implements, up to the time he left for the West.

During his school days Bradner Curtis formed the acquaintance of Miss Kezia Benton, who was born in Canajoharie, N.Y., December 20, 1822, was educated in Canajoharie Academy, on the Mohawk River, and still later was a pupil in Cortland Academy, both in New York State. She was a daughter of Hiram and Cynthia (Hodge) Benton, on her mother's side, being a descendant of a colonist who came in the Mayflower. The acquaintance of the young people formed during school days ripened into a deeper affection that resulted in their marriage September 23, 1849. In December of the same year, they sailed from New York harbor bound for California, on a vessel that had formerly done service as a packet, but had been reconstructed for use as a sailing craft. Eight months were consumed in the voyage, although they were at no time out of sight of land, and while passing Valparaiso they could hear the natives calling to them. Some of the delay was due to the fact that at Cape Horn they were compelled to lay over for one month, owing to heavy storms prevailing at the time. They reached San Francisco in July, 1850, and after remaining there for two days, having been met in the meantime by Mrs. Curtis' two brothers, Hyland and Byron Benton, the latter conducted them to Mormon Gulch, near Tuttletown, Tuolumne County, where the brothers lived while they teamed from Stockton. Mr. Curtis also became interested in mining and started a trading camp there, but finally hired a man to help him at that, while Mrs. Curtis took charge of the trading camp and she baked pies and pastry, which were rapidly bought up by the miners and Indians. Mr. Curtis was the first man to build a sluiceway on the creek at Columbia and this creek was named after him. Mrs. Curtis was the first white woman in the mines near Sonora, Tuolumne County. They remained in that vicinity about three years, during which time he made sufficient money to enable him to start ranching here.

Removing to Stockton from Tuolumne County, Mr. Curtis bought 320 acres of land just north of the city, some of it being purchased for twelve dollars per acre; this land was part of a Spanish grant which Captain Weber had bought in the early days. The assessed valuation of this land is now $200 per acres; this ranch was farmed to grain. Thirty acres of this tract sold in 1885 to the Caledonian Club for $10,000; later it was bought by the Stockton Electric Railroad Company and sold by them to the City of Stockton for $30,000. It is now Stockton's amusement park, known as Oak Park, and is valued at $75,000. Mr. Curtis named this thirty acres Goodwater Grove, from a fine well of cold water on the place; this grove was used as a picnic ground for many years by the residents of Stockton. Mr. Curtis bought a block of land in Stockton from Charles Whale, bounded by Center, Commerce, Vine and Rose streets. At the time of purchase it was a grain field and Mr. Curtis built on this property and made his home there until his death, March 4, 1881. Later Mrs. Curtis moved a house from the ranch and these two houses are still standing on the property. Mrs. Curtis has reached the advanced age of 100 years, December 20, 1922. Mr. Curtis was a prominent Odd Fellow for many years, holding a membership in Charity lodge. Mrs. Curtis erected a family vault in the Odd Fellows' cemetery at Sonora, where in life Mr. Curtis had made his first start. Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Curtis: Mrs. Belle K. Jackson, born in Tuttletown; Frank B. and Forest D., both deceased; and Fornia S., all born in San Joaquin County.

Spotted by the site coordinator in "Fifty-Second Annual Report of the New York State Agricultural Society for the Year 1892," Albany: James B. Lyon, State Printer. 1893.

Life Members of the New York State Agricultural Society

Sanders, J.H., St. Johnsville
Starin, John H., Fultonville
Van Duesen, H.A., Canajoharie
Van Horn, G.H.F., Fonda
Van Horn, Abram, Fonda
Van Horn, John S., Fonda
Wemple, Edward, Fultonville
Wemple, Robert, Fultonville

Spotted by the site coordinator in the newspaper "The New Era-Gleaner," Vol. XVII No. 33, De Ruyter, N.Y. Thursday, April 21, 1887.

Edward Canarr, a N.Y.C. engineer, was killed in an accident at St. Johnsville, Sunday. His fireman had a leg broken.

Spotted by Steven Knight in "Richfield Springs and Vicinity," by W.T. Bailey, published 1874.

Jacob Walter was born in Fort Plain*, Montgomery County, N. Y., February 14th, 1788. Remained with his father until May 3d, 1803, when he was bound apprentice to Joseph Farr, a watch and clock maker. The present village of Fort Plain at this time contained but one house. "The first settlement of Fort Plain was situated a short distance to the west, and was destroyed by the Indians during the Revolution." Mr. Walter says "a Presbyterian church stood on 'Sand Hill', but was subsequently burned by lightning." After serving seven years to learn the trade, he continued in the employment of Mr. Farr two years, when he opened a shop on his own account at "Hall Settlement", in the town of Minden, in 1810. He continued here three years, and removed to the "Little Lakes", in the southern part of Herkimer County; but soon after located in the town of Springfield, where he remained twenty-seven years. In 1845 he established his business in the village of Richfield Springs, where he now resides at the age of eighty-six.

    Mr. Walter was married in 1811, and has eight sons and one daughter now living**. Mr. P. D. Walter, the present mayor of the city of Lockport, N. Y., is a son of Jacob Walter***.

*His father, Christian Walter, was of German descent, a farmer, and his residence stood on the elevated ground near the old fort.

**Since writing the above, one son, Alonzo Walter, of Ingersoll, Canada West, has died.

***Jacob Walter has in his house at the present time a brass clock made by himself over "sixty years" ago, and which is now in good running order.

John Fish was born in Montgomery County, N. Y., December 10th, 1791. Was a carpenter by trade, and married in 1819. Had three sons and three daughters. His son, John D. Fish, enlisted in the summer of 1862 in the 121st Regiment New York Volunteers, then stationed at Mohawk; was soon promoted to a captaincy, and while leading his men in action on the 12th day of May, 1864, at Spottsylvania Court House, was shot dead by the enemy. Mr. Fish has been a resident of this village since 1826.

Spotted by the site coordinator in "Souvenir Program. One Hundred Fiftieth Anniversary of the Battle of Oriskany and The Siege and Relief of Fort Stanwix. Saturday, August 6, 1927 at The Oriskany Battlefield and in the City of Rome." Published by J.B. Lyon Company, General Printers, Albany, New York. 1927.

Fort Stanwix-Oriskany Committee
Montgomery County Members

Nelson Greene, Fort Plain
Mrs. George Duffy, Fort Plain
Harry V. Bush, Canajoharie
N. Berton Alter, Nelliston
Mrs. Willard Keller, Dolgeville
Joseph H. Rainey, St. Johnsville
Mrs. Seward Bellinger, St. Johnsville
Miss Edith Lanning, Palatine Bridge
Mrs. William T. Van Deusen, Fonda
Barrant Wemple, Fonda
Rev. John J. Wynne, Ariesville
Mrs. Fred R. Greene, Amsterdam
Charles F. McClumpha, Amsterdam
Gardiner Kline, Amsterdam
Rev. W.N.P. Dailey, Stone Arabia

Fulton County Members

Senator Jeremiah Keck, Johnstown
Judge T. Cuthell Colderwood, Johnstown
Mrs. Charles B. Knox, Johnstown
Mrs. Bethune R. Grant, Johnstown
Fred L. Caroll, Johnstown
Rev. W.W. Ellsworth, Johnstown
Hon. Lucius L. Littauer, Gloversville
Robert W. Chambers, Broadalbin
Mrs. William Pierson Judson, Broadalbin
Hon. Cyrus Durey, Green Lake
J.T. Morrison, Johnstown

Spotted by the site coordinator in "Thirty-third Annual Circular and Catalogue of the Williams & Rogers Rochester Business Institute, Rochester, N.Y. 1897-8." Rochester, New York. Published by the Press of Democrat and Chronicle. 1897.

Students of the Rochester Business Institute for the School Year Ending July 30, 1897.

Frosch, Minnie E., Canajoharie, N.Y.
Wepper, Anna, Canajoharie, N.Y.
Gayler, Charles A., Fort Plain, N.Y.
Hambrecht, John D., Fort Plain, N.Y.
Hess, Keller, Canajoharie, N.Y.
McKenzie, Earl E., St. Johnsville, N.Y.
Miller, Carl J., Canajoharie, N.Y.
Richheimer, Albert, Johnstown, N.Y. [Fulton County]
Shaffer, Howard, St. Johnsville, N.Y.
Snell, Melvin W., St. Johnsville, N.Y.

Back to Meet Your Ancestors Section

Back to Montgomery County NYGenWeb

Created: 8/26/03
Last Updated: 8/16/10
Copyright © 2003-2009 M. Magill / Steven Knight / Lisa Slaski / Barb Gese / Nancy Robinson
All Rights Reserved.